Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The problem started some weeks ago, it is a 147 1.9jtd. The clutch pedal was going all the way up, but it still worked fine, just needed to push it down. Between the normal position and the upwards position it did a click.
Then, the biting point started to get lower and lower, and finally I couldnt disengage the gears.

I was hoping it was the clutch spring, so I disassembled the pedal, but the spring is fine. I see though, that the handle from the master cylinder is loose (it is very easy to move it to the sides).
Is this normal when the pedal is taken off?
Another thing, what prevents the pedal to go too much up? The master cylinder or the spring? If it is the master cylinder, changing it should be enough to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any hints!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Does quickly pumping the pedal a few times recover the clutch action somewhat? If so, the problem is hydraulic, either clutch master or slave cylinder seals need replacing. Also check for fluid leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I couldn't get it to work. I didn't find any leaks, even though I don't know what was the brake fluid level before. I think I'm going to change the master cylinder, as it is quite cheap (30eur) and doesn't look too much work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Deffo sounds hydraulic, althou generally pumping the clutch gets you going again, it certainly did when my slave cylinder went pop.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Check under the gearbox bellhousing for any hydraulic fluid, This is where a slave cylinder fault will manifest itself.

Mine had the same symptoms, and turned out to be the master cylinder, inspection showed a couple of drops on the pushrod, it seems to be quite a common fault with the 147 and GT, bleeding mine helped for the 2-3 days it took me to get a replacement.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
No, I couldn't get it to work. I didn't find any leaks, even though I don't know what was the brake fluid level before. I think I'm going to change the master cylinder, as it is quite cheap (30eur) and doesn't look too much work.
Was simple work, but a bit tight in places, worst thing for me was sacrificing the hose from the reservoir to the top of the master cylinder, but quickly replaced with some fuel hose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies.
I think it is the master cylinder who controls the movement of the pedal, probably inside it a ring or something like that broke, so I'm now hoping it is the master cylinder. The access to it is not as easy as I initially thought. Removed the battery, battery support, connection from intercooler to the engine, and now at least the abs control and the rigid pipes have to go as well, which involves bleeding the brake fluid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im having some problems accessing to it. I cant reach it without taking out all the abs hydraulic system.
Any one has some tips?
The guides Ive found for 156 dont match my car. Perhaps becayse its LHD, because i see in eLearn that in RHD 147s it is also much easier to take it out, since it is from inside.
Any help would be appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts