Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's recently acquired 147 came with a clutch issue that I originally diagnosed as a low bite point, then deduced that the clutch was not actually biting low, but that it was difficult to lift your foot slowly enough to engage it smoothly. My theory was that the piston was sticking in one or other cylinder, hopefully the master, at the bottom of its stroke, then releasing suddenly just after one started lifting ones foot.

A couple of Saturdays back, the clip that secures the cylinder to the pedal broke while my wife was out in the car, causing the cylinder to disengage from the clutch and stranding her. I rescued her heroically with a hair clip to get her home, then replaced the broken clip with one of the upgraded ones.

Since then, the initial problem has mysteriously gone away. I've two theories on why, both of which seem unlikely:

1. The old clip wasn't in properly, restricting the ring on the cylinder's ability to turn smoothly around the pin as the pedal was pressed. When I fitted the new clip, it went between the washer and the ring at the first try, so I know this is possible.
  2. There was some air trapped at the top of the cylinder and it dissipated back through the system when the cylinder inverted after detaching from the pedal.

As I say, neither seems likely, but I was wondering whether anyone could throw some light on this? Coincidentally, I had bought a new master cylinder that I was going to fit on the day the clip broke and will fit if the problem returns.

I believe also as a consequence of this I've now lost cruise control. On inspection, I see there's a switch above the pedal that I assume is linked to the cruise control system. I can slip a piece of paper between it and the plate on the pedal mechanism while the pedal is up. If the switch is part of the cruise control system, it must be registering that the pedal is depressed all of the time, thus preventing the system working. Other than reconnecting the cylinder and fitting the new clip, I didn't touch anything down there. Is there a way to adjust this?

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
I'd have expressed that as "hold down the clutch pedal, pull out the plunger, then gently release the pedal to make contact"....but basically its dead easy :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I'm a bit mystified by both responses. By 'plunger', do you mean the switch itself?

Thanks,

·
Administrator
87,757 Posts
Clutch pedal switch.jpg

Pull out the plunger at the end of the switch in the direction of the arrow.

You might find it easier to disconnect the switch & remove it to do so.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still struggling. I've tried pulling the plunger down with long-nose pliers and it isn't moving. I can't workout how to remove the switch - please give me a lead.

Thanks,

·
Administrator
87,757 Posts
IIRC it does take a bit of force so maybe try a bit harder. If you want to remove it first unplug the cable then turn it a 1/4 of a turn to remove it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts