Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

been suffering from the creaky clutch so decided to try and grease the master cylinder up today. on inspection the rubber cover over the cylinder is perished so its pretty pointless greasing it up so might just get a new one. tried to find a guide but had no luck. can someone gimme a few pointers on how to replace it? car is a 02 plate 1.6 147.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
alfa-****

PM me with a contact email address and I'll send you some details

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just trying to help and to see exactly what the problem was and try and save you time based on my experience before you go and spend time removing it if you dont need to.

There are no moving parts as such inside the cylinder: only a piston, with a rubber seal and a return spring. The return spring can make a noise when depressed and no matter of lubing will quiet this down. The external dust seal, the piston seal and spring can be replaced without removing the master cylinder from the car and the body of cylinder is unlikley to wear.

Go to alfa156.net, look under "tips" and under "User tips" see "how to change the clutch spring".

Instructions are Ok but be careful when removing the slave cylinder pipe and have plenty of rags to hand. It is easier to remove the fluid outlet banjo clip from inside the engine compartment if your hands are small enough that you can reach down the back of the engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts