Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bloody cars!

I have a problem now. I have just swapped my double din kenwood out to put it in my new car. I put the old radio and cup holder back and everything was going swimmingly. It all worked then when i pushed it in, the car won't start.

Now the problem begins........

The car has been sat for a while so i could have flattened the battery, but i tried to jump it and got nothing, just 1 little click. I went to get the volt meter and the batterys gone in it.

The red lights on the air controls came on but not the bright red lights on the computer on the dash, but it was showing the faults being thrown up, all be it dimly.

If it was just the battery, surely something would happen when i tried the jump leads?

The radio red light on the on button did not light up. Central looking wont even fire up, surely i cant have drained the battery to that extent?

I have checked the radio fuse, number 39 i think it was, a 15amp, but that looks ok.

Is there anything else i can check? The car not starting on jump leads is whats concerning me.

Any suggestions greatfully recieved.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
What does your voltmeter show across the battery terminals?

Are the connectors both clean and tight? If not, jump leads won't help. If in any doubt, remove, clean and remake the connections.

Sounds to me like something simple.

·
Registered
750 Posts
  1. Remove the radio.
  2. Charge the battery fully, if possible have it load tested.
  3. Check the maxi fuses on the battery positive plate by loading each in turn with a few amps' draw - an old electric horn fitted with two flying leads, is good for this.
  4. Confirm car now starts and runs.
  5. Correctly identify the permanent positive and switched positive on your radio feeds. Adjust radio wiring as required, test loose, then test refitted. Don't overlook the little location snub on the back of the radio.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice one for the replys i meant to say the other day. Just got a charger from a mate and alls good in the world. Now time for the blast after the ecu miracle cure protocol

Just need a radio code now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts