Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello everyone,

Was just wondering if any1 has any experience or knows if the standard 147 cd player you get supports CD text, afaik, all the CD's i've burned have been burned with 'CD Text' on, which should allow the CD player to display the songs on the display and also on the dash.

Is this possible? Or do you need to do something? 'Cause currently all I get is 'Track 1, etc...' very boring I think you'll agree.

Cheers!

DT

·
Registered
848 Posts
There's an setup option for "CD Name Display" in the standard player but I can't get it to work either. It doesn't play MP3's, no USB connector, crud sound... time to junk it :)

·
Administrator
46,109 Posts
There's confusion here between two different things.

CD Text is a system whereby you can enter the name of the Album on the stereo, and whenever you put that album in it will remember and display. It's very limited, and largely pointless.

I would imagine that what you're talking about is id3 tags, which can display all sorts of info about album, artist, track, etc. and which the stereo does not support.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah bazza, I think you're right. I only thought maybe CD Text would work because it displays the radio stations name etc, so it clearly has the capacity to do text. When I burn CDs, I can burn all those data tags on them so on my home cd player, it will display the names, however, in the car it didn't. Not that it really matters!

...also with regards to sound, the bose speakers I have are actually ok!!? ...well I think :D

DT

·
Registered
609 Posts
There's confusion here between two different things.

CD Text is a system whereby you can enter the name of the Album on the stereo, and whenever you put that album in it will remember and display. It's very limited, and largely pointless.

I would imagine that what you're talking about is id3 tags, which can display all sorts of info about album, artist, track, etc. and which the stereo does not support.
That's not completely true.

CD-Text is where the album name and track names are stored on the CD, nothing to do with the individual player. A good system in my opinion. Quite handy when making your own CD's too, as Nero and other burning software would let you add CD-text to your compilations. CD-Text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ID3 tags are part of the MP3 standard, and like you say store all the track/album data within each mp3 file.
MP3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)

D

·
0 Posts
Have you got the manual for the stereo? It's all in there what you can do with it.

S

·
0 Posts
That's not completely true.

CD-Text is where the album name and track names are stored on the CD, nothing to do with the individual player. A good system in my opinion. Quite handy when making your own CD's too, as Nero and other burning software would let you add CD-text to your compilations. CD-Text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ID3 tags are part of the MP3 standard, and like you say store all the track/album data within each mp3 file.
MP3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:)
some cd players allow you to type in the album name which is stored in the cd player for the name time the cd is inserted pretty redundant technology now

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think the sound of the Bose/Blaupunkt-system is perfect!

About displaying text: My GT-stereo can play MP3-CDs wich is great (150 songs to a CD, instead of 15). It´s actually connected via the CD-changer output but is standard. What I´ve noticed is that the dash only displays what track of the MP3CD that is played, but not the name of the artist etc, whilst the CD-player does. The dash does also have a hard time to change the numbers of the songs. It can be stuck on 27 until no 54 starts and then it´s suddenly "54". The sound is perfect, though.

My conclusion is that the stereo may have changed, and the world of multimedia too, but the Alfa Romeo dash is still the same as in the 147 from 2001. It simply doen´t understand the new times!

I stoped worrying.

·
Administrator
46,109 Posts
some cd players allow you to type in the album name which is stored in the cd player for the name time the cd is inserted pretty redundant technology now
This is what I was referring to as CD-text. Obviously there is a 3rd option to the ones I listed, and I was partly wrong myself.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
i remember having a corsa courtesy car and the cd player in that used to scroll through the artist's name and track name.made me want one. the cd player that is, not a corsa

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i remember having a corsa courtesy car and the cd player in that used to scroll through the artist's name and track name.made me want one. the cd player that is, not a corsa
:lol:
i confess, the courtesy fiat punto i had for a day was strangely fun to drive, i didnt want one though!

D

·
0 Posts
Courtesy cars and hire cars are always fun to drive because it's not your tyres, engine or suspension to worry about. :thumbs:

I've never got the idea of a scrolling text CD player, you put your favourite Boyzone CD in, you know it's Boyzone because you put the CD in the player, why do you want a reminder scrolling across the screen that it's Boyzone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Courtesy cars and hire cars are always fun to drive because it's not your tyres, engine or suspension to worry about. :thumbs:

I've never got the idea of a scrolling text CD player, you put your favourite Boyzone CD in, you know it's Boyzone because you put the CD in the player, why do you want a reminder scrolling across the screen that it's Boyzone?
HOW DID YOU KNOW I LIKED BOYZONE!!!?...

...although more to the point, I get what you're saying, however, i'd rather that than 'Artist', similarly, song names are a good idea, some of the albums I've got, I dont know the track names, ie, D&B CD's, there's about 40 different artists and singles, I have no idea what some are called.

Either way, anythings better than just Track 01 etc anyway! Even if you know the songs inside out. Not that it matters, the stereo can't do it anyway it seems... :mad:

DT

1 - 14 of 14 Posts