Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car been in garage today getting cambelt, variator & water pump etc done. I phoned up late afternoon and spoke to the mechanic who owns the garage and who has worked on my cars for over 20 years. He said the tensioner was on its' way out and just as well I did it now. One strange thing he said was the cam lock tools that I purchased from Alfaworkshop did not fit the profile of my cams as well as they should have and he used his genuine Alfa ones for his car, but this is a 2.0 ltr TS 146. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this as it states that the locking tools are different for the 1.6 & 2.0. :confused:

Sandy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is the 1.6 and that is got me thinking as I would have thought that Alfa workshop would have sent the right lock tools. I trust this guy and he has a 146 and has replaced the cambelt on his car at least once so I assume he knows what he's doing. I also printed the cambelt change guide from Alfa workshop so he could get the torque settings. Starting to worry now in case this causes engine damage. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No he just has the 2.0 ltr ones, but you have got me thinking about the timing being out to begin with. I assume that the lobes would be in slightly different positions and so would not fit the tools perfectly, I think I'll phone Alfa Workshop in the morning and ask their advice. I know last belt was done by Evans Halshaw so there is a chance they tried it without the locking tools. Panicking now, what was going to be a sleepless night with excitement has turned in to a sleepless night caused by worry. :cry:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts