Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people.

On the way to a meeting in Newbury, my 147 Lusso cut out, a large engine management warning came up and the steering went stiff. Lucky to get parked up on the junction roundabout awaiting the tow truck.

The driver told me that it looks like the Cam Belt has snapped; being non car technical I thought I would ask the question.

If I turn the key, I get a starter motor sort of sound but that's it. Someone told me that the car should still start but the pistons won't move due to the snapped belt. Does this sound like a cam belt, or is it one of the lovely electrical problems loved by Alfa owners. I tried the key again, and it stated immobiliser failure, so I’m really not sure what’s going on.

Any helps here greatly appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi people.

On the way to a meeting in Newbury, my 147 Lusso cut out, a large engine management warning came up and the steering went stiff. Lucky to get parked up on the junction roundabout awaiting the tow truck.

The driver told me that it looks like the Cam Belt has snapped; being non car technical I thought I would ask the question.

If I turn the key, I get a starter motor sort of sound but that's it. Someone told me that the car should still start but the pistons won't move due to the snapped belt. Does this sound like a cam belt, or is it one of the lovely electrical problems loved by Alfa owners. I tried the key again, and it stated immobiliser failure, so I’m really not sure what’s going on.

Any helps here greatly appreciated
Bad News , something happened to me on the GT.
Although the starter works , there is no piston pressure since (most likely) the valves are bended hence not fully closed chamber (if that makes sense. Excuse my english).
There is a way to check for your self. Open the car hood and remove the engine cover. Check on the left side of the car for a plastic chamber and unscrew the holes (you will need a special key or sometimes an Allen key works too , dunno about the 147) Although you can not ENTIRELY remove the plastic (you have to make much more unscrewing to do that) you can get a glimpse of the belt. If the belt is there and holding firm you are OK , else you are.... ahem.
Sorryz

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I got a quote for trade in at around £2000. Is it worth getting the car fixed or sell as scrap?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just pulled the cover off a tad, and you can see teeth stripped from the belt :cry:
Told you :(

It took me 1500 euro to fix my GT but it all depends on how many valves are bended. Mine were 2 beyond repair and 10! that needed to be taken for Straightening up. Also the Water pump will need changing as well but thats included in the cost.

It's fixable but a bit costly. Think of it as a full engine repair and relax :) **** happens....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doesn't look good. I've sent a PM of the Smaky so thanks for the heads up.

The misses is getting the mind set to get rid of it, not sure

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
634 Posts
Best one yet as in all 16 valves bent.

Chits I can't comment on because of whinging behind the scenes.

Here's the head though...
We did a 156 last week that had done all 16 valves. The guy rang and booked in for a gearbox fault and his timing belt snapped on his way. He has had the car from new and had never had a belt at 96000 miles. This was the 1st time we had seen the car.:(

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Bad luck that Johnny, but he should have been on his 4th belt by now and 3 x cambelt changes is probably something like the cost of a belt-failure rebuild.. He hasn't done all that badly out of it if you look at it that way.

LynxUK - sorry to hear of your bother but you are in good hands.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts