Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

There's a metallic grey 2007 147 1.6 ts sport up the road from me priced at £4999, 32 k on the clock, one owner, fsh.

I've scoured the threads for advice and it appears that I should be looking for the usual things such as oil, suspension, if all the electrics work. Is there anything else I should be looking for, and does the price seem about right? some folk seem to be saying I should opt for the 2ltr version.

Thanks for your help

Gaz

·
Registered
132 Posts
One big important thing - CAMBELT. This needs to be done every 3 years OR 36000 miles - it would appear that this one is over due on time. Make sure it has been done or get them to do it :thumbs:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've seen the newer 147's go for quite a bit less than your budget. Are you interested in the older model at all? They basically look the same inside with subtle changes to the exterior. You'd save a lot.

I've never driven the 1.6 but i'd go with the 2.0 because even that feels a little underpowered with acceleration, being a heavy car. So i'd imagine the 1.6 to be even worse. Plus from what i've read the costs between the two are more or less the same.

I'd be really tempted by the diesel tho. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yeah I'd considered the diesel. It there are hardly any in the north east so it would mean travelling far to pick one up

·
Registered
139 Posts
look for signs of neglect, such as, why wasnt the timing belt changed on time, perhaps inexperienced (with alfas) mechanic, in wgich case he missed other things to. view it on a dry day,get it on the road & change gears at high revs (over 3500) to test the engine management system. but most importantly, do a hpi check and trust only the evidence. good luck

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you can go for a 2.0l.I have owned a 1.6l 147 as well and to be honest in terms of mpg they just equal.But the 2.0l will give you a bigger smile.If you shop around you can get some good bargains but you might need to travel to get it.I did with my recent car,I was living in London at the time and went to Shipley not far from Leeds to view and pick it up my bella.It was worth a drive.I just rented a car from Avis in Heathrow and then drop it of t Leeds aiprort.It was a nice way to test drive my bella back to London:cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some good advice here, cheers. Don't think I'll go for the 1.6 now.
I'll wait until the right 2ltr or 150bhp diesel comes along, in black or dark grey. I've also come to the conclusion that I want the lusso spec as well. Problem is I can't bloody wait!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll wait until the right 2ltr or 150bhp diesel comes along, in black or dark grey. I've also come to the conclusion that I want the lusso spec as well. Problem is I can't bloody wait!
Are you interested in a 156 at all? Someone can correct me but i think they're very similar. But the 156 comes with more engine choices i think.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got my 147 a month ago - a 1.6 Ti. The first thing I would say is take your time finding the right one and be prepared to travel if necessary. You've probably noticed it's not like buying a Ford Focus as there aren't many about.

As other posters have said service history is crucial, be aware of what needs to be done and when and make sure it's all been taken care of or factor it in when you do the deal. Of course this should be no different when buying any car.

As for the 1.6 I thought I'd find it underpowered but that hasn't been the case. My last car was a Skoda Octavia Vrs that obviously was in a different league performance wise so I wasn't expecting it to be a match for that. However, if you press the loud pedal a bit harder and use the rev range I think it's still a fun drive.

One advantage of going for the 1.6 is I found there were more of them about than the 2.0 so therefore more choice - particularly with later limited editions like the Sport, Collezione and the Ti (which I think is the one to have of course :)) The diesels seem to hold their price far better so you'll save a few quid buying the 1.6, assuming you don't do big miles to make it back at the pump.

Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new Alfa as much as I'm enjoying mine.

·
Banned
173 Posts
I can't offer any advice on the petrol engines, but the Sport spec is a really nice looking car, mine is the 120 bhp diesel and has plenty of torque though the range - despite being the lower powered of the diesel options, it is still quite quick! i am very happy with mine and have had it for 3 years now, However, If I was going 147 shopping again, id look long and hard for the Q2 Sport 150 Diesel as this one is going to give you more fun in terms of more power and even better handling in the corners - not that there is a problem with power or cornering on the 120 Sport!

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you are considering the diesel, check the clutch is fairly light (it will be heavy but shouldn't be rock hard).
The clutch on the diesel is not designed very well and needs some attention every now and then. There is a big thread about this on here. The clutch will creak thats normal..

Check the boot is aligned and not rattling all over the place. Check suspension too as that is also a problem area of the 147. They go through wishbones like they are going out of fashion.

Other than that trust nobody and expect the worst. Not just when buying a new motor but in general :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
1.6 is quick if driven fairly hard but do you want one like that.
It is also relatively thirsty for a 1.6. My son's car does 29 - 31mpg but that is short 6 mile journeys to / from work. On a motorway run (70mph) it will return 36-37.
I haven't driven 2.0 but suspect that fuel consumption will be very close to 1.6 and have the extra go when you want it.
I imagine a remapped 1.9 16V would be a lot of fun and quite or even very economical if you wanted it to be. Sadly £3,500 insurance puts that out of my son's league. For some reason the 1.6TS was only £630 TPFT (eCar via GoCompare) yet his 60HP 1.4 8V Corsa was £780.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I've driven a 1.6 120 for about a week, it not a bad car TBH.

Also owned a 2.0 and. 1.9 jtdm 150. The JTD was an awesome car, with a remap it was quicker than a 2.5 v6.

My choice would be the derv without a thought.

Check the following:
Cambelt, water pump @ 5 years or circa 60k
Upper and lower wishbones within the last 10k
Anti roll bar bushes
EGR valve, MAP sensor and MAF circa 60k

Make sure it doesn't whistle and you can't go wrong. This don't drink oil so just check its at the right level and enjoy. They do smoke a little under load.

Ps try green light for insurance

·
Registered
276 Posts
thanks again for the advice. I'm just going to take my time and look for the best car I can find. However, this has been in my local garage for months now and it looks a total bargain. I'm confused as hell now!:

2003 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.0 JTS Veloce 2
I think with 147 (Probably the 156) It may be best to hold out for a high spec one e.g leather/heated seats/nice alloys. They usually go for the same price as a poverty spec. So worth the wait.

I love my seats. Couldn't go back to fabric.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
thanks again for the advice. I'm just going to take my time and look for the best car I can find. However, this has been in my local garage for months now and it looks a total bargain. I'm confused as hell now!:

2003 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.0 JTS Veloce 2
I can understand that you are itching to get an Alfa but my advice is,try and get top spec as possible.For the same price and mileage I have seen alfa 147 lusso with leather.I was a bit like you and eager to buy an Alfa which I did with my first car.Although it was a great far,had low mileage it was a turismo_Only after owning you start to think of things to make your life easier like having cruise control for long journeys or 17" alloys will look nicer and so on. So I went to look for my second alfa 147 but took my time and look for all my requirements(black,5 doors cruise control etc).Like you i was keeping a eye on auto trader.if you patient enough you will find your ideal alfa spec like i did. :thumbs:Good luck

O

·
0 Posts
Don't pay that much for an 07 car.

Think about it - you could (if patient and selective) get a low miler slightly older car for a lot less money.

The 147 is getting on now and with the Hooly-Jetta getting establishe, pretty soon they'll be going for peanuts.

IMHO - 1.6 Petrol will need flogging to get the best out of it (I've had one and was bored quickly as it does not feel lik 120bhp. I know they come as 100 bhp too); my own choise would be the 2.0 petrol as oil-burners dont really hit the spot. They sound dreadful too.

Sorry oil-burning 147 owners!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts