Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, so a little bit of misfortune occured to me almost 4 weeks ago now, I had an epileptic fit at the wheel of my Clio 182 causing me to hit the accellerator and drive straight into a wall. I walked out with nothing more than a badly cut head. The Clio (which is an excellent little hot hatch, great handling and an engine that simply longs to be revved, extremely underrated) however was not so lucky.

So here's my situation, I'm signed off driving for 12 months on medical grounds, the insurance is paying out a decent amount which will allow me to service a few debts, and having run the clio for almost 2 years I'll be making one hell of a monthly saving not owning a car.

So, I'm thinking to myself, in a years time, what car do I want to go out and buy?

Alfa is a marque that every petrolhead is told they should own at some point in their lifetime. For all the well publicised faults, there is just something about their design, handling etc that makes you want them.

So I've come around to the idea of saving up for a 147. So, having read a few reviews and that, and searched a few car sale websites, I'm left a little confused as to what sort of spec I should be aiming for.

In terms of purchase, I could afford to save for any model going, right up to the GTA, and it does tempt me massively. That said, having poured around £600 per month into the clio in various costs, servicing, tax, tyres, insurance & petrol, I am tempted by the Diesel, although I'd be looking to get some work done to up the 150 bhp power as standard.

So my questions, what engine would people recommend? What spec should I be looking to get? I've seen them advertised with Bose sound system for instance, that would interest me massively, I'd want the best spec available as I like my creature comforts, of which the Clio had a surprising number, I realise the Alfa will be a big step up in class and I'll want to make the most of it.

And then onto what mods to make, is suspension necessary? ECU tuning (obviously on the JTD I'd expect this would be a great gain)? Hows about ARB or LSD? Just looking for some idea's of what I'm likely to want to do once I've got it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the sort of person who pours £10k into modding a car as soon as I've bought it, but I would like to get an idea of what sort of costs I'm likely to want to incurr to make some value for money improvements.

Thanks a lot, Ben

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody got anything for me? Its always nice to have some genuine owners club advice on what bits of kit its worth looking out for when buying second hand? Are there any special edition spec levels to the JTD that are worth parting with a little more for? Anything not to bother with etc? Just looking for a little advice really.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
bad news about your incident :(

if you can, get a GTA but i would say that :lol:, i had a 1.6 tspark for 2 years which had nothing on it (spec wise) but it didnt bother me. it went well for a 1.6 aswell. not sure about the other engines/specs though as i knew i wanted a GTA after that car :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
This reputation is not exactly true, just got to make sure you buy one in excellent mechanical & Electrical condition and a excellent service history and don't skimp on servicing and your be fine.

ECU remap, Fast Road Cam's, Performance Air Filter prehaps....

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
documented service history a must .....most owners who look after their cars pride them selves on this ....... test drive will actually show how tight car is ,if not walk away, more importantly WHO done servicing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
id speak to ya doctor first!!!!!! you shouldnt be driving
Surrendered my license for 12 months mate, have to have Doc's signature on the form to re-apply so don't worry.

Thanks for the advice all. The thing that stops me from going straight for the GTA is that I've lived with a car that costs a fortune to run before and so I know that as good as it is to drive, as great as it looks, there is always that slight feeling that if you'd gone for the next one down you could have an extra holiday each year.

Thats why I'm so keen on the diesel, they are extremely responsive to low cost tuning so they can still be made to go really well and without the worry of £280 road tax and £20 of petrol lasting 1 day. Still might end up buying the GTA though :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
£600 a month on a Clio? I've had my GTV V6 for 6 years and it's cost me less than two grand for any work over that period, never stopped, never missed a beat. Go for the GTA and love yourself forever, it can't cost you £600 a month unless your insurance is mental. You know you want to!

·
Registered
623 Posts
How about the 150bhp diesel in lusso trim?then 250 quid on a tuning box from dtuk.(Same engine as the astra 1.9ctdi) 206bhp,loads of torque and 50mpg,there are video,s on you tube of these boxed astra,s beating vxr,s on the drag strip:),acessory parts are cheap too,i got the bootspoiler for mine with a 75% discount from my local dealer as no one seems to want to mod the 147.If you fancy summat a bit different the 2.0 selespeed is top of the range,a blast to drive fast with the robotised gearbox,and is quicker than the figures suggest(not as quick as the type r i met last week,but gave the rev happy nutter a shock i think:lol:)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Surrendered my license for 12 months mate, have to have Doc's signature on the form to re-apply so don't worry.

Thanks for the advice all. The thing that stops me from going straight for the GTA is that I've lived with a car that costs a fortune to run before and so I know that as good as it is to drive, as great as it looks, there is always that slight feeling that if you'd gone for the next one down you could have an extra holiday each year.

Thats why I'm so keen on the diesel, they are extremely responsive to low cost tuning so they can still be made to go really well and without the worry of £280 road tax and £20 of petrol lasting 1 day. Still might end up buying the GTA though :lol:
no problem:thumbs:i would look into insurance to see what model you can afford to insure personally,never mind with the mods:wow: insurance companies just love loading your premiums up:mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no problem:thumbs:i would look into insurance to see what model you can afford to insure personally,never mind with the mods:wow: insurance companies just love loading your premiums up:mad:
Tell me about it, first got the Clio at the age of 20 having been on my mum's insurance prev (she used the car I had before that more than I did, she hated the Clio because she couldn't use the 'heavy' clutch :cheese: ) I'd only just got the premium down to £1100 a year on it with 2 yrs ncb.:wow:

The problem is with the job i do I can just about afford to insure anything within reason, it's whether I'd really want to tie myself down to very low disposable income again.

Hence the temptation to go for the diesel, which from all I hear is a really good engine and with the basic breathing and chip tuning can be plenty quick enough to get past the tractors when going for a blast round the Evo triangle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts