Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so last weekend saw my 147 have its 5 year service. Everything went fine and the only advisories were its due a cam belt next year, and ive about 2k left on my rear pads.

So this got me looking at new pads etc....but having a look at the ebspares site got me thinking about getting some drilled/vented disks for the front.

So my question(s) is fairly simple:

If I wanted to go down the drilled/vented discs route, is it ok just to get them for the front or should you replace them all round?

Will fitting drilled discs affect my car insurance?

Im guessing if I got vented/drilled discs id need the appropriate pads to go with them?

...and finally are they a worthwhile upgrade over the normal discs?

As always thanks for the help and opinions guys 'n' gals!

·
Vendor
45,460 Posts
Keep the back end standard, no point doing anything else as they do next to nothing on full force braking. As for the front brakes, there are loads of upgrades you can do, look through the tuning and upgrades lounge. :)

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep the back end standard, no point doing anything else as they do next to nothing on full force braking. As for the front brakes, there are loads of upgrades you can do, look through the tuning and upgrades lounge. :)
Good point!

Away from all that, would they make any difference to your insurance?

K

·
0 Posts
You would have to notify your insurance as it's a modification.

They may regard it as a safety modification and just make a note of it. alternatively, they may be horrified. Ring them before you do it.

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would have to notify your insurance as it's a modification.

They may regard it as a safety modification and just make a note of it. alternatively, they may be horrified. Ring them before you do it.
Good point, ill give em a ring over the weekend!

Can anyone recomend a good place to source the parts? I know epspares are a good starter, not sure Shop4parts really do grooved discs for anything other than the GTA's!?

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Try buypartsby ... standard motor factor web site ... so good quality at lower prices.

The "recommended" upgrade for brakes is new STANDARD discs with Ferodo Performance pads on the front, and new brake fluid. Check the hoses are OK ie not starting to crack and the calipers move freely without leaks.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Right, so last weekend saw my 147 have its 5 year service. Everything went fine and the only advisories were its due a cam belt next year, and ive about 2k left on my rear pads....
So they advised you that its now 36,000k miles and every 3 years for the TS cambelt change? :thumbs:

·
Registered
9,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try buypartsby ... standard motor factor web site ... so good quality at lower prices.

The "recommended" upgrade for brakes is new STANDARD discs with Ferodo Performance pads on the front, and new brake fluid. Check the hoses are OK ie not starting to crack and the calipers move freely without leaks.
Intresting opinion there, so really to upgrade, its really the pads and fluid, then a further upgrade could be drilled discs?

So they advised you that its now 36,000k miles and every 3 years for the TS cambelt change? :thumbs:
Well I knew she was due it next year, but kudos for them noticing and telling me! :thumbs: indeed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts