Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Alfa Romeo 147 Selespeed
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i’m replacing my brake light switch as the other day my 147 Selespeed stopped at the traffic lights and wouldn’t go in to gear. I pulled the old one out and put the new one in but it doesn’t twist into place so it’s not secured. The left one is the old switch and the right the new, it looks like the little pins that hold it in place are longer on the new one and therefore won’t allow it to twist. I’m wondering if this is the case or am i doing it wrong. Any help appreciated!
Lego Plastic Electronics accessory Fluorescent lamp Auto part

This is where i bought the new one: Alfa Romeo Brake Light Switch (4 Pin) - 147/156/166/GT/GTV/Spider/159/Brera | eBay

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I think I'd use a file to shape them as the original ones and use silicone spray lubricant to help make fitting easier. I've not had to change a brake light switch in an Alfa but I have done this in the past when fitting a cheaper aftermarket switch.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Those switches go into the bayonet one out of 4 possible ways, but only one is correct. I wouldn't worry about the little nibs, it's mostly the bayonet itself that secures the switch. You are probably attempting to put it back in the wrong orientation. If you have that right, but are worried about it rotating, a small dab of hot melt glue or wrap of gaffer tape would prevent that.

FWIW that type of brake and clutch switches are self-adjusting. They will stop working if the plunger is pushed in too far so there's no good contact with the tang on the pedal - which can happen during service. You can usually reset them by firmly yanking the plunger out with pliers past the internal herringbone ratchet. Fully extended should look like the new switch, about 1cm. Replace in the bayonet with the pedal depressed a little, and the first time the pedal rises it should set the switch correctly - and work. So you could probably try that with your nibby original.

Edit: from memory, those nibs play no role in locking the switch. I suspect they are just casting flash. It's a couple of years since I last did it, but IIRC the bayonet itself does the locking, by engaging with the small recesses in the top inner surface of the switch bayonet. Both switches have this. I think you're just trying to fit it 180degrees wrong. I think I dimly remember making the same mistake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts