Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boot has been a bit iffy since buying it. It has got to the point where it wont close now. Eventually I got the thing to close.

Took the car to a recommended garage as it's under warranty, they came back and said it's not the lock and that the panels are misaligned. (they're suggestion take it to a body shop?!.)

can anyone enlighten me?

It's makes a strange sound now that didn't previously happen when opening it. Pretty sure it's a mechanical issue.

What other components could it be other than the lock?

thanks in advance.

N

·
0 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the rubber bung-stops on
the bottom of the boot lid?

·
Registered
222 Posts
is it trying to engage the catch off-centre? close it as much as it will go and then with palms flat on either side of the boot badge try and use your weight against the panel to move it left and right while pushing down, it may not be centred on the catch mechanism.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the garage I went to were a load of cowboys. it's what the warranty recommended. now it has a slight crease in the panels. Loads of phonecalls now to try and sort the thing out.

Have got someone else looking at it in the next few days.

The usual 'pop' sound when you release it is more like a grind, which makes me think it's something mechanical...

·
Registered
222 Posts
so it sounds like metal on metal? is the mechanism/ lock tacky to touch or dry? could just be seized from a possible leaky rear washer/ no grease. Does the rear wiper washer work? it may have popped off in cold weather when frozen and been slowly leaking into the mechanism.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the garage said the lock is fine. How does the boot release? I'm assuming it's something electronic that operates it as something makes a strange sound when the button on the fob or dash is pressed.

I haven't noticed any form of leaking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Boot Solenoid??

Is the solenoid the black box behind the boot lock with a white arm coming out the side that is supposed to push the lock mechanism?

my boot stopped opening so i had to crawl in to the boot from the inside n manually open the boot by pressing the lever thing on the boot lock. Took the plastic off n took out the 2 bolts holding the lock in place. Behind it is that black box which is obviously supposed to push the lock mechanism. But it just makes like a grinding noise when the boot release button is pressed. If i manually hold the lever away from the white arm it is able to come out as it should. but it wont move when the lever is in its normal position.

Is this the solenoid and does anyone know where's the best place to get a replacement from and how much they cost?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts