Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 147 with manual shift. Had the clutch and hydraulic system changed 6 months ago after similar problems at great cost.

Gradually over time clutch pedal loses pressure with difficulty changing gear, particularly to reverse until impossible to change at all. I've notice the brakes can be a little soft too. Checked reservoir and it is full.

Before I consider taking to a garage and spend £100s again I want to bleed the hydraulic system. Does anyone have procedure for doing this including the location of all the bleed values including clutch?

W

·
0 Posts
All the brake bleed valves are on the calipers..if you have to ask then I presume you've never done this procedure before? I would advise caution and suggest you find an indy garage to do the job, brakes are not to be messed with.

However, if you're mechanically minded then buy a one person bleed kit such as the Gunsons Easibleed, makes life a lot easier.

Not sure where the bleed nipple is for the newer engines...if indeed you can actually get to it because the slave cylinder is in the gearbox!!!

wrinx

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Jogto: Have a look on my website. (The link is in my signature are below)

There are two PDFs: one for changing the pads and discs, which ends with a section on bleeding the system and one just about bleeding the clutch (although this is for a '98 model and so I don't know if this is the same as yours).

They will show you the general process and you can decide whether you want to continue or trust it to a local garage. Any competent mechanic can do this, so you might even try a mobile guy, but make sure they use Super DOT 4 brake fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this gazza, I completed the job on Sunday. Wrinx I know where the brake bleed valves are, it was the clutch one I had the problem with. Although there was some air unfortunately it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. So it looks like the problem is more gearbox/clutch related, which is outside my DIY desire. Can anyone recommend either a good garage (east London) or buyer who wants a 147 with a noisy gearbox.
:(
I joy of owning a alfa, never again. 5 years and less than 50K miles.

W

·
0 Posts
jogto said:
Wrinx I know where the brake bleed valves are, it was the clutch one I had the problem with....

I joy of owning a alfa, never again.
Sorry, that's what I was referring to, the clutch slave cylinder which is in the gearbox.

Did the expensive work not have a years warranty? I'd take it back to the garage and complain.

wrinx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts