Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally did it this morning, and bought a MP68. I had various Halford discounts, and managed to get it for £137.

Connected all up, and all it well, except the ISO connections on the 147 don't seem to wired correctly?

The unit looses it memort (clock, etc) when you removed the key, which suggests that the permanant power is not there. Also, the night dimming illumiation doesn't work, and the sub out seems to be in the wrong place. This all affect Connector Block A, B (speakers) is OK.

Short of hacking the wiring harness to bit, and re-wiring, anyone got any ideas or perhaps has installed a MP68?

Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Try a thread search. I think constant and switched 12V
are swapped in the ISO connector and you can carefully
extrat the wire/pins and re-insert them.

How well does it sound/work BTW?

H

·
0 Posts
yea u need to swap pins 4 and 7 on the power plug, use a wee screwdriver to pop the pins out.

sub out comes from the yellow mini iso

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i know my GT has no ILLUM wire in the power-ISO plug. so you may need to find an alternative wire to connect to.

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. I have also done some digging, and yes, its seems Pins 4 & 7 need to be swapped around. Apparently this is "normal" on Fiats! I plan to give it a shot on the weekend.

The headunit is great. I've not replaced any speakers (although thinking this might be my next job), but it is very clear and there is some depth to the sound.

The USB (on a 512MB stick) is super fast, there is no lag when skipping tracks, and only a short lag when changing folders. I've still not worked out why my 80GB HDD isn't recognised though.

The display is clear, although a little fussy when displaying the radio, but it has some real neat features, such as displaying all stations (and names) that are available.

The telephone function is also very clear and easy to use. It seems it will only download your phone book if stored on the SIM, which isn't much good if you use the phones memory. However, it does download the missed / received call lists.

Overall, comparied to my last Sony headunit, it is a massive step up. The only thing I would say would be : The facia is quite large, and sticks out quite far from the dash. It means the 147 cup holder (directly below) cannot be used.

Hansthe bear : The cables supplied with the MP68 seem to show the Sub Out from Pin 3 (Block A), although I can't get a voltage reading from this?

N

·
0 Posts
Cool stuff! ;)

T
The USB (on a 512MB stick) is super fast, there is no lag when skipping tracks, and only a short lag when changing folders. I've still not worked out why my 80GB HDD isn't recognised though.
Could be it draws too much current through the USB.
The spec for USB is quite loose when it comes to power
supply and a lot of laptops and "mobile" equipment
haven't been spec'd high enough to power standard
hard drive. (Although there are "low power" drives around.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In fact the manual does state the USB device should not draw more than 800mA, which is above the rated draw of the my HDD. You can hear the HDD spin, but after a few moments the MP68 simply displays a "USB ERROR" statement.

But, I have worked out that it depends on how the OS sees the HDD. If you plug the HDD / stick / flash card into XP, it must tell you it has found a new USB device, and not a USB HDD. So, I think its down the the caddy more than the HDD, although I have no way of proving this just yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts