Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
147 Engine Rebuild - Oh dear !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brought my 147 in Dec. It had 20800 on the clock and was serviced at 20700 miles. 3 Liters of Top Grade Oil was placed in the engine by a main dealer.

I reached the magical milage of 21800 (only 1100 miles since the oil was replaced at service). I was driving along, no warning lights etc when I herd that dreaded knocking, which got worse and worse then a few miles down the tracks the car ceased up. I managed to get the car running again (enginge ticking over etc) but it would appear I blew my "big end" How this is possible after only1100 miles I do not know.

Anyway, as I type I need to get the car attended to. I need to know a few things and I would like some help if possible.

1) Is it usual for a 147 to go wrong like this - or have I been sold a dud ?

2) How much is an Engine rebuild going to cost me ? The best quote so far is £1200 for a strip down and rebuild - this seemed reasonable

3) Is a rebuild a better option than a replacement enginge ? I assume it is due to the value of the car

4) Is there anywhere in the Lincolnshie area that could be recommended to carry out the rebuild, A main dealer is not an option as the car is not worth enough?

5) Am I better off selling the car (its a Lusso Selsespeed) as a non runner and just walking away ?

Sadly I am gutted that this has happened - I mean a warning light would have been nice at least............

many thanks for the help

Le

M

·
0 Posts
sorry to hear of your news Lee...how much did you pay for her ?

mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike

I Paid £5800 for her. She is a 02 Plate (March 02) with Full service History and top Lusso spec - looked a good deal at the time ! - now of course it is worth bugger all as it don't run !

really need to get this sorted, but no idea whats best.....

cheers

Lee

M

·
0 Posts
with the low mileage, the amount you have forked out, i would go for the re-build, just make sure the guy knows what he is doing etc...she should be as good as new then

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The receipt clearly shows only three litres of oil were placed in the car at service - I think I might have a fight on my hands here after all. The Main Dealer serviced the car, did not do it right and then the enginge blows. Difficult to prove except I have it all written down.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts