Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a big problem! Need new disks all round, but am unable to remove the aluminium spacers that hold my after market wheels onto the wheel hubs. I have taken the car to two garages who have broken three torx fittings already trying to remove them.

I tried myself too and also snapped a torx fitting. Only problem is mine snapped and is stuck in the female bolt head!

So I now have two problems, removing the snapped torx fitting and generally getting the spacers off to get to the disks. The spacers are alloy and the bolts are steel, so I am guessing that it is bi-metallic corrosion that is causing the problem?

Has anybody had any similar problems? Can anyone help, or does anyone know a really good garage that could do the job for me of removing these blasted things?

Have tried to drill out the snapped torx fitting, but the drill isn't touching the hardened steel?

I am pretty desperate as I am going to the South of France in 2 weeks time and need disks changed quickly.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
You're going to have to get brutal - use a hammer and chisel or something to bash out the broken off torx bit then drill the heads off the siezed screws. The screws themselves should drill out easy, then you might find the spacers themselves are stuck to the brake disc, so you might have to get brutal again. You might be able to take the old disc off with the spacer still on and then have a go at removing the spacer. Heat will probably help, if you can.

When you put it back together, smear copperslip anti sieze on all revelant surfaces. Also, try filing a couple of angled slots at 180deg to each other on the back face of the spacers, so that next time they need to come off you can stick an old flat blade screwdriver in the gap and bash it with a hammer - this will pop the spacer off with no drama.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if the torx bolts have been snapping the torx bit then they are hardened steel too, normaly the torx bit ruin the splines in the bolt head.
you cannot really apply heat due to the alloy so only other thing would be a hammer impact tool where the shock and twist may help
can you cut a slot in the bolt head with a cutting disk on a angle grinder so you can get a bit flat screw driver bit in a ratchet and get some leverage on it? and maybe get some heat to the rear of the hub boss where the bolt is

had an idea..last desperate way!....drill a series of small hole around the bolt head as close together as you can and to isoltate the bolt and you should be able to prise the spacer off, then do what ever it takes to get that bolt out. heat/molegrips hammer/chisel and simply drill another hole for refitting with fresh bolts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of those ideas are really helpful. Thanks a lot everyone! I like the idea of cutting the slots for future removal and cutting a slot in the bolt head too! These are some things to try! I think when I get the spacers off I may replace them with more conventional wheels. perhaps a GTA 17" copy? The wheels are a bit scratched anyway, and the two rear ones have buckles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts