Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 147 1.6TS for 3 years now and I love it! But after driving a diesel rover 75 (not the same I know) to Norway and back on a holiday recently, the economy of diesel suddenly hit home. I spent some time doing consumption and tax related maths and it came out with a saving of £750 a year (based on the 32mpg I get from mine and 45mpg from the diesel as well as the saving on road tax). Then looking at the increase in power and torque as well as the saving It'd be stupid not to invest in the JTDm.

I'm wary that the age of car I'm looking at getting ~70,000 miles is likely to be around the mileage where work is required to keep it going. What are the standard services for this kind of age of JTDm? should I expect cambelt, water pump etc to be done for a second time as with my TS? and are there any other running costs I should consider?

Any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Icy

·
Registered
66 Posts
we have the 147 jtdm 16v great fuel economy after just having a cambelt failure on 50000 miles i would make sure you get it done inc waterpump apart from a slave cylinder few months ago not had any issues otherwise
cambelt was overdue so wouldnt count that against 147 to be honest

good luck

W

·
0 Posts
Diesel is the fuel of Satan. I'd rather pay more money for a petrol engined car.

No help whatsoever - sorry.

G

·
0 Posts
Diesel is the fuel of Satan. I'd rather pay more money for a petrol engined car.

I agree:cheese:
JTD definition: wait... wait..... :rolleyes:ooh here it comes:) ..... on boost:thumbs:. oh there it goes again:(, time for the next gear:confused::cheese:

·
Registered
32 Posts
For consumption and mid range over taking it's great I have just got the jtdm 150 147, I also have a new skoda octavia Vrs petrol which you have to change gears and drive hard to get the superb performance but that a 2 litre turbo engine so I would go for jtdm over a 1.6

·
Banned
173 Posts
OK - cambelts on the 147 JTDm should be done at about 60k, water pump needs done then too. servicing from an indie costs me probably on average about £250... Mpg - depends how I drive it, I've had 47 mpg average out of a tank but that was me being careful to see what I could get - driving more normally I get about 41 and if I'm being a bit heavy footed the worst I have had was 36 mpg. Tax for mine is £150 per year. Very strong engine the JTDm, I agree that turbo lag is a tad annoying, but the torque is excellent and I don't find I have to change gear straight after I get the boost - there is plenty of range in the gears! Ive had it 2 years and i won't be parting with mine soon! I would also say that if it has been well looked after, 70k is not worryingly high millage for a JTDm

·
Registered
2,222 Posts

Funny i used to say that!:) And now i have to say, my remapped Gt 1.9jtd is surprisingly one of the most usable, fun cars i have ever owned! There is absolutely no comparison between a 1.6 twinspark and a 1.9jtd have driven both! With the jtd i have masses of torque and great mpg. Its down to horses for courses. I love a great sounding v8/v6/5cld over an oil burner any day. But in this day and age, if you do a fair bit of mileage a year and you are not prepared to throw your hard earned away on fuel, the modern diesel engine makes a very strong case for itself.:thumbs:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was anti-oil-burner for the longest time, but after I got my JTDm, I converted. You can't beat that immense torque. I can drive at around 100 mph, effortlessly riding its turbo goodness and still get north of 40 mpg (or so it tells me...) My car has more torque than the 147 GTA, which you can tell when you accelerate from low revs. And from what I hear, the diesels are much more reliable than the petrols (and mine SHALL be once I get the MAF sensor replaced...)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice! Mind is made up now, just got to find the right 147 in the right colour with a decent engine...

Does anyone have experience getting a JTDm remapped? what kind of cost is involved and what kind of power/torque could you get?

Cheers

Icy

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK - cambelts on the 147 JTDm should be done at about 60k, water pump needs done then too. servicing from an indie costs me probably on average about £250... Mpg - depends how I drive it, I've had 47 mpg average out of a tank but that was me being careful to see what I could get - driving more normally I get about 41 and if I'm being a bit heavy footed the worst I have had was 36 mpg. Tax for mine is £150 per year. Very strong engine the JTDm, I agree that turbo lag is a tad annoying, but the torque is excellent and I don't find I have to change gear straight after I get the boost - there is plenty of range in the gears! Ive had it 2 years and i won't be parting with mine soon! I would also say that if it has been well looked after, 70k is not worryingly high millage for a JTDm
Thats what mpg I tend to get out of mine and I was quite disappointed with it really....suspecting there is something wrong with it! I've read about people getting 50mpg at 80mph on this forum (in a GT I think but the same engine), while I struggle to get 42-43 mpg out of mine at 80mph.

Does this sound about right to everyone?

V

·
0 Posts
I agree:cheese:
JTD definition: wait... wait..... :rolleyes:ooh here it comes:) ..... on boost:thumbs:. oh there it goes again:(, time for the next gear:confused::cheese:
That's like saying with a twinspark, nothing happens until 4.5Krpm and then it's all over before 6Krpm...oh... :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
That's like saying with a twinspark, nothing happens until 4.5Krpm and then it's all over before 6Krpm...oh... :lol:
At least on a TS, the needle will actually hit 6k..................!!! :lol:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Who cares whether the engine will hit 6K? The different engine types are geared accordingly anyway.

I'll take the diesel any day for the better real-world performance and fuel savings.

·
Banned
173 Posts
At least on a TS, the needle will actually hit 6k..................!!! :lol:
Agree mine won't hit 6k, but as the other poster said, these cars are geared differently, so I can do over a ton no problem and not even hit 4k! It's just completely different, when I drive my wifes petrol car I feel like I want to change gear when I go over 70. Alfa diesels are pretty quick and full of torque!
Icy147 - not sure how far these can be mapped upto, but you can definitely go unto 170 bhp since the Ducati Corse pumps out that level of power!

·
Banned
173 Posts
Thats what mpg I tend to get out of mine and I was quite disappointed with it really....suspecting there is something wrong with it! I've read about people getting 50mpg at 80mph on this forum (in a GT I think but the same engine), while I struggle to get 42-43 mpg out of mine at 80mph.

Does this sound about right to everyone?
Most of my driving is on dual carriageway during rush hour - I think this sort of mpg is normal, but comes with the territory of having a sporty set up - i think GT is the same engine too, so I'm a bit surprised if it does that!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most of my driving is on dual carriageway during rush hour - I think this sort of mpg is normal, but comes with the territory of having a sporty set up - i think GT is the same engine too, so I'm a bit surprised if it does that!
All of my driving is easy flowing motorway driving, and trying my hardest to get good mpg and not planting my foot down that is all I can get.

I had to drive from London to Norwich to pick up my car when I bought it. My mate took me there in his "S" reg megane 1.6 petrol, and on the way back with him following me and doing the same speeds I got 45mpg and he got 49mpg! And that was worked out from filling up the tanks and also gave the same results as the mpg read out on the dash. I was not best pleased seeing as I had bought the car for good economy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
All of my driving is easy flowing motorway driving, and trying my hardest to get good mpg and not planting my foot down that is all I can get.

I had to drive from London to Norwich to pick up my car when I bought it. My mate took me there in his "S" reg megane 1.6 petrol, and on the way back with him following me and doing the same speeds I got 45mpg and he got 49mpg! And that was worked out from filling up the tanks and also gave the same results as the mpg read out on the dash. I was not best pleased seeing as I had bought the car for good economy!
That's odd. I've been struggling to get the claimed highway fuel consumption from my car, but mostly because I drive with a heavy foot. Maybe you should run the car in properly since it's probably been stationary for a long time. That said, you should ALWAYS be able to get better fuel economy than the 1.6 if you drive at the same speed in the same manner...

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's odd. I've been struggling to get the claimed highway fuel consumption from my car, but mostly because I drive with a heavy foot. Maybe you should run the car in properly since it's probably been stationary for a long time. That said, you should ALWAYS be able to get better fuel economy than the 1.6 if you drive at the same speed in the same manner...
I was thinking that too, but it was freshly serviced when I collected it, and have done over 1000 miles in it since having it so would have expected it to improve by now if it was going to. Its done over 50k miles as well so is definitely run it!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Had a 1.8t.s would go.every day for a jtdm..but a well looked after t.s does sound luvely :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts