Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Recently the 147 has started displaying ABS, VDC System Failure errors when turning the cars ignition to MAR position,

I have read on the forum that this could be an issue relating to the brake pedal switch, I just wanted to check if this could still be the issue even if the brake lights work when pressing the brakes? Thanks

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
The brake lights will still work if a faulty switch is causing the errors you're seeing, as it has two sets of contacts so the contacts that switch the brake lights can still be OK.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
At turn on the car does a systems check.... Worst case could of course be a problem with the ABS system/processor
Also check the connector on the ABS computer, maybe clean with electrical contact cleaner (so NOT WD40 )

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
A dead battery or bad battery connection can also give false warnings. Just check that too... Lastly a OBD scanner will tell more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies,

I checked it again yesterday after work and noticed that the ABS system failure error is cleared when I press the brakes but checked it again this morning and the error wouldn't clear when I pressed the brakes again, so basically I assume that it would be related to the brake pedal switch, but I would also connect the ODB cable to the car to check and clear the logs, just need to modify the one I have as its currently configured pin 3 to pin 7 due to the SRS light on the dash after cleaning the car, so would need to change it to pin 1 to 7 to read the ABS errors

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice,

Ok so yesterday I managed to clear the errors on the dash, connected the obd with multiscan software and there were no errors logged against the abs system even though the car kept displaying abs, vdc system failure,

So after checking the errors logged "of which there were none" i decided to test the abs actuator from the software options and after running the abs pump "test mode" both the abs and vdc errors cleared on the dash.

Started the car again this morning and no errors on the dash

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I am guessing that there was air bubbles in the ABS unit and the test / prime function purged it out.

Either way, happy you are back online.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am guessing that there was air bubbles in the ABS unit and the test / prime function purged it out.

Either way, happy you are back online.
How very timely, my recently acquired 147 JTDm has similar issues . The ABS warning is always off when I start but it seems to return after I hit a bump and mostly when I am turning to the right and it has some times gone out whilst driving although that`s rare. So far I have checked the multi plug up high behind the engine and wiggled the connections on the ABS unit and the brake related items in the fuse box. Sadly the gremlin in control always lulls me into a false sense of success by not coming on for longer than usual on the test drive. Is my car possessed or can someone help me? Martin

·
Registered
289 Posts
To the OP:

My 147 used to throw a load of error messages when the weather got cold and they'd disappear after a few starts.

One of the ABS sensors didn't like the cold. Never bothered doing anything about it, once it got used to the cold, it was fine.

It could also be the battery starting to go....

Martin, sounds like a problem at the wheel end of things, not sure where you start...

·
Registered
19 Posts
To the OP:

My 147 used to throw a load of error messages when the weather got cold and they'd disappear after a few starts.

One of the ABS sensors didn't like the cold. Never bothered doing anything about it, once it got used to the cold, it was fine.

It could also be the battery starting to go....

Martin, sounds like a problem at the wheel end of things, not sure where you start...
Hi Richard almost new battery 640cca but it does sound lazy to start and I have checked the earth. I will start at the end as you suggest and keep moving along. Thanks Martin

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Guys

Recently the 147 has started displaying ABS, VDC System Failure errors when turning the cars ignition to MAR position,

I have read on the forum that this could be an issue relating to the brake pedal switch, I just wanted to check if this could still be the issue even if the brake lights work when pressing the brakes? Thanks
I had all those errors when the alternator bushes were wearing out and the battery didn't have enough juice to run everything. Check the battery voltage when the car is running, should be about 13.8 volts or above if i remember correctly.
Also check the battery voltage before starting the car in the morning... something could be draining your battery overnight. (sometimes when starter motor bushes are weak).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts