Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI - have been noticing for a while when it is damp that my ABS has been kicking -in early and adding hugely to my stopping distances. This morning with some black ice on the road this was ridiculous - took about 5 secs to stop from 20mph. Anyone else seen this problem / know solutions - thanks

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I wrote a car off in black ice. Not unusual to take a while to stop?
My old Rover 25 was like that though, pretty keen for the ABS to activate. When I changed the front tyres (from a mixed set) to budget tyres it stopped.
The old tyres were obviously getting low on the tread but they were also not identical tread patterns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks did check them - the tyres are good quality with plenty of tread - have had the car for several years, this feels different

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Sounds 'normal' - but if you are concerned, I'd take it somewhere to be looked at to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
I had a Peugeot 406 for a company car when they first came out. On sheet ice from 20mph you couldn't brake lightly enough to stop the ABS kicking in, for all I know, it's still sliding :cheese:

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Thanks did check them - the tyres are good quality with plenty of tread - have had the car for several years, this feels different
What tyres are they (make, size, everything!)?
What pressures?

Are they "E" marked?
(there have been cases of illegal imported tyres that are not "E" Marked, most notably non EU spec Goodyears...).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Could be a combination of things...cold, wet roads with salt on and the usual grime from cars and roads make for a nice emulsion for which summer tyres are useless.

Get some cold weather tyres. You don't use winter tyres in 30°C summer heat, so why use summer tyres when it is 0°C.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
When running skid-control instruction sessions, as I have been today, we do a demo of braking with ABS on and off (we've fitted a switching set-up). I've proved conclusively many times over that the car stops much quicker with ABS on and activated than off (and my cadence braking is somewhere in between). What makes you think that you can stop quicker on black ice if the ABS wasn't activated? It only operates when there is a differential in the speed of rotation of one wheel compared to another, so if you think it is operating too easily the finger definitely points at either the tyres or a faulty (maybe grabbing?) brake component.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If you have severely worn tyres on the front compared to rear or across an axle or different brand with different rolling radius or an under inflated tyre the ABS may be near to seeing a speed differential between wheels. Braking further increases the differential and ABS kicks in early.

I may just be talking b*****ks though.

I don't know if you also have ESC but the knackered shocks on my Focus is causing havoc on the twisties due to the weight transfer and bouncing that keeps fooling the ESC and it keeps cutting in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When running skid-control instruction sessions, as I have been today, we do a demo of braking with ABS on and off (we've fitted a switching set-up). I've proved conclusively many times over that the car stops much quicker with ABS on and activated than off (and my cadence braking is somewhere in between). What makes you think that you can stop quicker on black ice if the ABS wasn't activated? It only operates when there is a differential in the speed of rotation of one wheel compared to another, so if you think it is operating too easily the finger definitely points at either the tyres or a faulty (maybe grabbing?) brake component.
thanks - there has definitely been a noticeable change of recent (I've had the car 6 years) where it is very sensitive now - tyres are fines still plenty of tread

my thoughts could also be re front suspension - car seems to go through anti-roll bars regularly (every 2 years or so) so could point to this

Have booked it into my local Alfa dealer (Piccadilly, Knaresborough) on Thurs, as I can't go through the winter with it as it is

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
Braking from high speed, weak front dampers will massively increase braking distances.
But not at 20mph on black ice!

and you still haven't confirmed the tyres, apart from saying the tread is ok...

·
Registered
22 Posts
quick check when driving and the road is safe with no other traffic slow down using the brakes with little pressure applied, does the ABS intervene between 10 to 20 mph during the 10 or so meters before you stop, pressure applied is not enough to lock a wheel but due to a faulty wheel bearing or sensor the ecu thinks a wheel has locked and abs kicks in, active sensors use a magnetic strip fitted to the bearings inner dust cover over time stuff sticks to it then damage occurs but not enough to register a fault with sensor.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hmmm, I bought a 156 and it suffered from premature ABS intervention, the car had matching tyres in good order. At any speed if the brakes were applied the ABS kicked in, disconnect the ABS and the brakes worked as normal.
I tried loads of things, cleaning sensors, replacing sensors, in the end parked it in the garage and it's still there. One day I will sort it out....................maybe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts