Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of selling my 147 jtd m jet and getting a audi a3 quattro. Am I making a mistake? Aside from the dull looks =p

·
Registered
322 Posts
The a3 is a nice car but you will have some massive fuel bills. As it runs permenant 4wheel drive it does push up your running cost icluding tyres. And you cannot turn the traction control off which i always fouds strange as it makes you feel very detached from the road when u a driving it

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Dave,

Go drive one and make your decision from there.

:)

I've had two A3s in the past and found them to be refined and well built, neither car had any problems in over 100,000 miles of driving

Both owned from new, do be wary of the higher output TDi though, they have a habit of munching through injectors at around £600-£800 a set.

Never had that on ours but a guy I work with got shut of his after they died for the third time, could be **** fuel though, we have a tesco petrol station next door to work...

:)

·
Registered
37,645 Posts
Mate has one, I slip into a coma when he gives me a lift in it. Neighbour slagged the entire range off this week and the guy next door says he piddles himself laughing when he signs the bills as he does not have to fork out himself (Lease motor) for his A4.

'So that's a no from me'!

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Matey at work has one. As with Keith's mate... the Siemens (?) injectors keep packing up... so make sure it runs smooooooother than me in a smoking jacket.. :D

Otherwise budget £800 for each one that will go wrong. Fella is on his second set (i.e. someone paid for 4 new injectors) in 45,000 miles .. and second set just started giving the symptoms of failure too.. :eek:

Ralf S.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I drove an a3 for 3 years, the longest I have owned a car. It never once let me down. Just a bit boring thats all. Would I drive one again today? no way. S3 maybe, but nothing else.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
The a3 is a nice car but you will have some massive fuel bills. As it runs permenant 4wheel drive it does push up your running cost icluding tyres. And you cannot turn the traction control off which i always fouds strange as it makes you feel very detached from the road when u a driving it
I think it runs a haldex system with 100% going to the front under normal conditions

·
Registered
739 Posts
That sounds right to me - the A3 is on the Golf platform after all, and it's a Haldex system that VW brand "4motion" and use on the R32 (and the old mk4 V6 model).

I think the old Torsen diff version of quattro was only used on longitudinal-engine platforms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts