Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping a 147 1.6 engine for a 2.0

In an earlier post I mentioned that after some rather horrible noises, my 1.6l died. The thrust washers were in the sump for the second time. This was discovered by the workshop to which we took the car to do its clutch. The clutch was not the problem as it turned out, rather 12mm of crank end-float was. We now had the gearbox on the floor and a dead engine.

In theory, this motor only had 70000km on the clock but I am now suspicious of this.
After a chat with Chris of Alfa & Omega and others, the decision was made to install a 2.0l engine instead of rebuilding the 1.6l. This is because shortly after the first thrust washer issue (when the engine had 60000km on the clock), an inlet valve on number 1 cylinder dropped in to see the piston. As you can imagine, this pretty much destroyed it. A new head and 9000km later the thrust washers were back in the sump. The engineer who did the work on the engine denied all responsibility. As a result of all that happened, I no longer trusted this engine.

Phone calls were made to the used engine suppliers and scrapyards, most of whom wanted R13000-R18000 for an engine of unknown quality.

Through an advert in the A.R.C.S.A. magazine (5th Gear) we contacted Benzo Parts for Africa and spoke to them and they had a choice of engines at R9500. A visit to their premises and Alfa enthusiast type of chat produced an engine from a Selespeed that was a known quantity. It had 130000km on the clock and had been running when it was removed, a week before.

During the swap procedure, we learnt a few things that we thought we should pass on:

1. The original Inlet Manifold, ECU and Throttle Body from the 1.6l must stay with the car.

2. The Aircon Compressor Bracket must be the 2.0l’s bracket

3. The Engine Mount and Power Steering Pump Bracket must also be from the 2.0l, this is one piece including the Half-shaft Guide. On the 1.6l this is two separate pieces with the top-half bolting onto the front of the motor and not the side. Apparently, older 1.6l’s have the Half-shaft guide in the sump, so that sump would have to be fitted to the 2.0l.

4. Although the 1.6l clutch will work on the 2.0l engine, it is smaller and so a new 2.0l clutch and pressure plate should be used. A Selespeed clutch will work on a manual gearbox but not the other way around.

5. The Auxiliary Belt on the 2.0l is longer. Minor modifications are needed to Aircon pipes.

All in all it is now in. The spark plugs had to be replaced and for some reason my alternator died and had to be repaired. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! There is a lot more power to call on and it is delivered more smoothly. The fuel consumption even seems to be better.

Once again, my thanks to Chris at Alfa & Omega for all his advice, Noel for a great motor at a fair price and Raul at AMS for his patience and a good job done even though he is not an Alfa expert.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Nice one :thumbs: - enjoy the extra oomph :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice write up :thumbs:
I was thinking about a 1.6 to 2.0L conversion on my own 147 but bottled out at the last min. In the end I swapped my 2003 engine with a 2006 item. Hopefully It will be RFTO (ready for try out) this weekend
I found that in the UK, 1.6 TS early engines have an "extended" sump and the half shaft support bracket is combined with the alternator/starter motor bracket. The later 1.6 engines have the half shaft support intergrated in the oil pan casting. I hope the half shafts aint different, visiually it fits the newer engine perfectly. First drive will tell :eek:

How does performance compare to a 2.0l with std ECU and inlet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently I will lose a few of the 110kw because I am not using the Variable Inlet. However, I'm using the 1.6l's gearbox which has a shorter ratio. So :) my car does out accelerate the standard 2.0l. My car is also the 3 door version, so it's lighter than the 5 doors :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info

Thanks for this post!
I'm about to do the same with mine after the conrod broke and two pistons ended up on the road. Sounds like it's going to be expensive though...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts