Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 (937) 1.9 16V JTD-M, and recently upgraded/replaced the original normal steering wheel with the one that have the radio remote controls in it, along with a compatible slip ring. After everything was assembled, the steering wheel controls won't light up, or function with the factory AM/FM/CD radio. Now the Airbag light sometimes comes on, and sometimes off.

Any help with this issue will be gladly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Is odometer flashing???...
If so you need to make buttons friendly to ECU by means of MES ( MultiEcuScan ).
If not some other action to be done.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
@BuonGiorno... No, the odometer is not flashing.
it wouldn't, on the 147 the steeringwheel controls have nothing to do with the CAN ......
Is the connector for the remote connected to the rear of the radio ? Should be the small green iso plug, with 3 wires .....

If the airbag sometimes lights up, perhaps you should check all steeringwheel electrical connections. could be a bad airbag connector. If the airbag light lights up continuously, you might need to do a reset via MES.
If you work on the steering/airbag, it's a good idea to disconnect battery half an hour or so in advance .....

see also:
http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/temp_gta/elearn/steeringComponents.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it wouldn't, on the 147 the steeringwheel controls have nothing to do with the CAN ......
Is the connector for the remote connected to the rear of the radio ? Should be the small green iso plug, with 3 wires .....

If the airbag sometimes lights up, perhaps you should check all steeringwheel electrical connections. could be a bad airbag connector. If the airbag light lights up continuously, you might need to do a reset via MES.
If you work on the steering/airbag, it's a good idea to disconnect battery half an hour or so in advance .....

see also:
http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/temp_gta/elearn/steeringComponents.pdf
JWQ, Thanks for the reply and PDF...

JWQ, Yes, there is a GREEN plug (picture attached), but this one has 4-wires, and according to the radio diagram (picture attached), those cables are connected to:

TEL AF-
Ground
TEL MUTE
TEL AF+

For the looks of it, is like the RC-B and RC-A pins are for the steering wheel remote controls, which I'm missing those cables from the plug going into the radio.

About the Airbag, I disassembled the steering wheel and the Airbag again, sprayed some Electrical Contact Cleaner, and so far the light hasn't come on again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
JWQ, Thanks for the reply and PDF...

JWQ, Yes, there is a GREEN plug (picture attached), but this one has 4-wires, and according to the radio diagram (picture attached), those cables are connected to:

TEL AF-
Ground
TEL MUTE
TEL AF+

For the looks of it, is like the RC-B and RC-A pins are for the steering wheel remote controls, which I'm missing those cables from the plug going into the radio.
Yes, that's correct. RC-A and RC-B are remote control pins (left and right cluster), together with ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, that's correct. RC-A and RC-B are remote control pins (left and right cluster), together with ground.
I only have wires going to TEL AF-, Ground, TEL MUTE, and TEL AF+.

The wires going to RC-A, and RC-B are missing.

Now my question is, should I need a new wire harness? or consider this a lost project?

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
It is nice to know which car new steering wheel has comes from ???... Could be GT one which might not fit. I remember odometer flashing but I do not already remember reason for it. Sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is nice to know which car new steering wheel has comes from ???... Could be GT one which might not fit. I remember odometer flashing but I do not already remember reason for it. Sorry.
First of all, the odometer wasn't the problem. I think the Airbag light came on because of the slip ring. I disassembled it all, cleaned the contacts, put it back together, and so far no more Airbag light.

The steering wheel came out of another 147, but older model, mine is a newer one (Facelift).

According to earlier post by JWQ, the cables that are supposed to be in block C (Green Plug of the Radio wiring harness) PINS 10-11-12, the only one there is PIN 12, which is GROUND. The wires for RC-A (PIN 10), RC-B (PIN 11) are missing.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
First of all, the odometer wasn't the problem. I think the Airbag light came on because of the slip ring. I disassembled it all, cleaned the contacts, put it back together, and so far no more Airbag light.
The steering wheel came out of another 147, but older model, mine is a newer one (Facelift).
According to earlier post by JWQ, the cables that are supposed to be in block C (Green Plug of the Radio wiring harness) PINS 10-11-12, the only one there is PIN 12, which is GROUND. The wires for RC-A (PIN 10), RC-B (PIN 11) are missing.
That could be a reason. Not ready to argue professionally.
Once I had GT from 2005 ( by production ). I had decided to replace shabby buttons. To order this buttons with ePer part numbers is rather complicated story and I have received buttons from Facelift GT finally. It was needed to to use MES for odometer issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts