Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all had the 147 1.6 lusso for a bit now and love it but it has 1 or 2 little niggles.

The car now sounds like a diesel all the time:eek: I know the variator needs changing and I'm thinking of getting a top "C" service done at the same time. I think this will cover 1. Cam belt 2. Water pump 3.variator.

The car has only covered 15500 miles do you think the c service is a waste of money at this point?

Anyone know of a decent garage near Wigan that can do the above?

Will the above improve my mpg at all? I'm lucky to get 30mpg around town and never see 40 mpg even with 5o% motorway miles and that’s @ 70-75mph

Also, my 147 is a facelift 2005 model and the boot refuses to help me when I want to access it. I have noticed that pre facelift models have a nice little cut out so you can get your hand in and lift the lid, but mine doesn't. Is it meant to open up automatically with the gas struts?

A little help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Cambelt service is due at 3 years or 36k miles whichever comes sooner. So yours should be due about now (at 3 years). I suggest you also get the tensioner replaced as well.

Doing the above will not affect your mpg which do appear quite normal. My long-term average is about 37mpg, but most of that is a steady commute on the motorway at about 70. Localy about town with a lot of stop and start, then 30mpg is not unreasonable.

Can't help on your boot problem. Would not have thought that the struts would lift the lid by themselves, though.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
in order to change the variator you will need to remove the cambelt anyway. ( yours is 3 years anyway so due now) most of the cost will be labour so you may be as well off to replace the cam belt balence shaft belt and tensioners ( also not sure if advisable to refit a used belt) i personally would do the water pump as a matter of course as quite cheap and cost effective whilst doing belts and variator. As for your MPG that seems about right i never got more than 28 mpg from my 2.0 twin spark mostly around town and i believe the 1.6 likes to be revved as low down torque is not great

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cambelt service is due at 3 years or 36k miles whichever comes sooner. So yours should be due about now (at 3 years). I suggest you also get the tensioner replaced as well.

Doing the above will not affect your mpg which do appear quite normal. My long-term average is about 37mpg, but most of that is a steady commute on the motorway at about 70. Localy about town with a lot of stop and start, then 30mpg is not unreasonable.

Can't help on your boot problem. Would not have thought that the struts would lift the lid by themselves, though.

Forgot about the 3 year thing..oopps!! Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in order to change the variator you will need to remove the cambelt anyway. ( yours is 3 years anyway so due now) most of the cost will be labour so you may be as well off to replace the cam belt balence shaft belt and tensioners ( also not sure if advisable to refit a used belt) i personally would do the water pump as a matter of course as quite cheap and cost effective whilst doing belts and variator. As for your MPG that seems about right i never got more than 28 mpg from my 2.0 twin spark mostly around town and i believe the 1.6 likes to be revved as low down torque is not great

Won't fit an old belt and will replace the tensioners, cheers.:thumbs:

How diesel like should the knocking noise of a knackered variator be, anyone?

I'm getting a little worried:eek:

Oil level is fine....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts