Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm a newbie and I do more reading on this forum and so this is my first thread. Now I have been thinking a while now of whether it is possible to drop a V6 into a 5 door and how simple or complicated it is?I have done a search and I cannot find anything on this topic so I'm guessing that nobody has done this project before.Now I know I can have a 156 v6 or the GTA but no offence to any 156/GTA owners but I want to keep my 5 door 147 and dont want to get into 147 vs 156 debate. Also other than dropping a v6 what else do I need to change (remap,suspension,etc).Any advice will be great as I'm no mechanic.

Thanks in advance

P.S.

I forgot to mention I own a Alfa 147 2.0l Lusso:cool:

L

·
0 Posts
too much hassle, better to buy a 147 GTA, you will need at least:

engine
engine wiring loom
clutch
gearbox
ecu/body computer/key's
engine bay/dash wiring loom
fr uprights x 2
330mm brembo front calipers & brakes
GTA front & rear suspension
GTA Fr & Rear ARbs
+ lots of time

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys.I know its going to be a hassle but if it can be done,anyone knows or heard if its done?I scene somewhere that a 156 facelift version been modified with an 3.2 v6 engine or was it a 3.7?

I have been toying the idea of buying a second car too,just don't know if I should go for 147GTA,156GTA,GT 3.2 or a 3.0 GTV.Spoilt for choice :inlove:

The thing is I like the idea of a 3.2 on a 5 door but keep the 2.0l badge on and be interesting to see people face when they are left behind by the lights:cheese:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys.I know its going to be a hassle but if it can be done,anyone knows or heard if its done?I scene somewhere that a 156 facelift version been modified with an 3.2 v6 engine or was it a 3.7?
I have been toying the idea of buying a second car too,just don't know if I should go for 147GTA,156GTA,GT 3.2 or a 3.0 GTV.Spoilt for choice :inlove:

The thing is I like the idea of a 3.2 on a 5 door but keep the 2.0l badge on and be interesting to see people face when they are left behind by the lights:cheese:
So if you want a second car (GTA) what's the point of the V6 conversion?
Keep the lighter 2lt if you wish but modify it a little for extra grunt. In real world conditions a well driven 2lt will be not hugely slower anyway. Adding some go faster bits will give it the character you are looking for at a fraction of the cost and make it a better car anyway.

After following a well driven 147 for 30 odd mls I had to try pretty hard to pass him using my old 2.5V6!

C

·
0 Posts

That may have been me - I've done a few conversions involving 156's and 3.2 gta engines. The last one was a black facelift 156 v6

The fundamental problem with what you're proposing is your starting point of a 4 cylinder engine.

As well as the engine, gearbox, suspension, subframe etc you'll need a wiring loom for both the engine and, most likely, the dash too as well as the associated body computers.

The wiring loom is significantly different between the 147 and the 156 you'll effectively need a complete crash damaged 147 gta to stand any chance of getting it to work. You'll also have the added complication of the gta's body computer accepting the 2 additional doors and windows.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That may have been me - I've done a few conversions involving 156's and 3.2 gta engines. The last one was a black facelift 156 v6

The fundamental problem with what you're proposing is your starting point of a 4 cylinder engine.

As well as the engine, gearbox, suspension, subframe etc you'll need a wiring loom for both the engine and, most likely, the dash too as well as the associated body computers.

The wiring loom is significantly different between the 147 and the 156 you'll effectively need a complete crash damaged 147 gta to stand any chance of getting it to work. You'll also have the added complication of the gta's body computer accepting the 2 additional doors and windows.

You saying that converting a facelift 156 and dropping a 3.2 v6 is less complicted a standard 147 and placing an engine and components from a 147gta?

·
Vendor
45,777 Posts
That was exactly my thoughts, a donor car & complete re-shell would be the only way to do it.

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
You saying that converting a facelift 156 and dropping a 3.2 v6 is less complicted a standard 147 and placing an engine and components from a 147gta?
Far less complicated, especially if starting with a 2.5v6.

As for your 147, as already stated above, you will need so much from a 147GTA that your only hope is finding a rear-ended 147GTA and swapping the parts into your 5-door shell.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Far less complicated, especially if starting with a 2.5v6.

As for your 147, as already stated above, you will need so much from a 147GTA that your only hope is finding a rear-ended 147GTA and swapping the parts into your 5-door shell.
I didn't know that a 156 facelift did a 2.5 v6 unless you meant droping a 2.5 instead of 3.2 instead

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Just buy a 147 GTA and have it as a second car, keep your 5 door and have best of both :thumbs: you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't know what a GTA is anyway :lol: when mine broke down even the RAC recovery bloke was shocked when he saw what was in it :lol:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exterior as well, but not many in the UK.
Really, I didn't know that the facelift exterior 156 did a 2.5 V6.Sounds like my idea will have to be put on a back burner,gutted :cry:

·
Registered
30,074 Posts
Really, I didn't know that the facelift exterior 156 did a 2.5 V6.
Plenty made, but Alfa UK chose not to import many after the 2003 facelift.

They were a low seller by then anyway.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts