Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.
I am an experienced quallified vehicle tec and was looking for a challenge and came across the Alfa v6
This maybe covered somewhere but I have a 147 V6 which has snapped its cam belt at 29,000k and just out of warranty by 2 months. I understand that the tensioner fails and allows the belt to run off and rub away and looking at it it does look like it has partially rubbed through on the front metal cover before giving up.
I would just like to know if anyone has attempted this repair and has any procedures which would make the job run smoothly. I have spent a few hours and got to a point where the heads could be removed if the exhaust manifold were released. Logically the next stage will be to get it all in the air and remove the ex manifolds the from top the back one is very tight to the bulkhead with a lambda sensor also close.
If anyone has attempted this work and could point towards the easiest path it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers to all..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Heads are now removed and if anyone is interested I will do a write up on the whole job on the GTA forum.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
best to drop the engine & gearbox as a combo... then split them on the garage floor.

M

·
0 Posts
I have done them on the floor and in place and found it as easy in place but the manifolds are the only hard bits but the 147 has that little bit more room then the 156 on the rear bank...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for response guys.
Decided to remove in place because of the extra work and space restrictions.
Anyone who does attempt this needs an awful lot of patience and a decent ramp for starters. The rear exhaust manifold is the main bugbear - a real fiddle to undo and clear the head but it is possible.
One unexpected was the cam belt had wrapped itself around the crank gear and obviously "grew" in size breaking part of the front seal housing.
Heads are now away for new valves and will follow up with more detail on their return.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for response guys.
Decided to remove in place because of the extra work and space restrictions.
Anyone who does attempt this needs an awful lot of patience and a decent ramp for starters. The rear exhaust manifold is the main bugbear - a real fiddle to undo and clear the head but it is possible.
One unexpected was the cam belt had wrapped itself around the crank gear and obviously "grew" in size breaking part of the front seal housing.
Heads are now away for new valves and will follow up with more detail on their return.
hi there am after some help need to remove heads on my 147 gta

thks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts