Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
My 147 Connect Nav+ screen is looping without getting started ! It displays the Alfa badge and then starts to show the main screen, but cuts out and goes back blank screen, then the loop starts, alfa badge, main screen, blank, alfa badge, main screen, blank....etc
This also means the audio won't work, the CD eject button doesn't even eject the CD (my daughters HSM 3 CD that she wants back !!).

I've tried dissconnecting the battery, but it didn't work !!!
Any suggestions?
Or at least to eject the CD !!!

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi!!

Same thing append to me some time ago. I was doing my normal return journey and it just keep lopping. Sow push several times the on/off button to turn it off. When I get home I opened the boot, and take off the 10 cd set, from the cd box. Get to car turned the Connet on, and everything was working fine again. I guess some cd got stuck when loading and flipped out the Connect. That solved it for me. If you have the cd box give it a try, maybe the same thing.

Cumps!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, I tried it but without sucess.
I can't even switch off the system, after I remove the key, it loops for about another 2 mins and then shuts off.
I can hear a hiss from the speakers which stops after it eventually shuts down. Sometimes when it shuts down there is a loud sound from the subwoofer, a bit like a charge has built up in the amp and then discharges on shut down.
I did have the problem once before a long time back, but it fixed it's self at next switch on, no such luck this time (been 5 days already).
I guess I'm going to have to strip the whole system down and see what I can do.
Any suggetions on where to start?
I was thinking about disconecting the sub-woofer and cd changer to start with.

Or just trade it in for a 159, need a bigger car anyway !!

Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same system (I think), the Bose stereo with Nav - fairly pleased with it until this morning when there was a loud crackle and SMOKE from the head unit. I've lost sound at the front but otherwise all still seems to work - wasn't driving it hard at the time (although I had been about 5 minutes earlier). Anyone had to replace one of these or get the built in amp stage fixed and know what the cost is?
BTW - sounds like the loop may be linked to the CD being stuck in the unit.... is it in the head unit as opposed to a cartridge in the boot? if so try holding the eject button down whilst powering up - you may need some needle nose plyers or similar as sometimes stuck discs don't fully eject either and if you don't manage to grab the little bit that does come out the unit pulls it back in again. Hope you manage to get it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After 6 days it started working again withut doing anything !!!!
It surprised me as I'd got used to no music....where's the tunes coming from I though...oh it working again. Typical Alfa ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem on my 147 2002. Nav showed nothing but the alfa logo, turned itself of, then stared again. When i stopped the enigine it would continue a couple of times untill it ended in a LOUD pop in the speakers. Contacted Blaupunkt (i think, cant remember the maker), but got no reponse. After a couple of days it started working again, but being an alfa, only for a couple of days. Talked to my alfa dealer, who told me a new unit would cost £2300, and £1400 for a referb (i live in Norway, where everything costs at least an arm).

Solution, buying a Pioneer player that best matched the alfa interior. If someone if interessted in a ConnectNav+ (which obviously does not work as it should), give me a shout out.

·
Registered
57 Posts
After 6 days it started working again withut doing anything !!!!
It surprised me as I'd got used to no music....where's the tunes coming from I though...oh it working again. Typical Alfa ?
That's good for you. Maybe you should do an firmware update, even if you already have the latest version on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Firmware update? What's that then and how do I do it?
Cheers
Don't know if i can explain it very well . "A firmeware updadate is an update to the software that commands the system". In this case the connect nav system. It's used to give more accurate functionalities, new functionalities, correct bugs, etc.

To do it is very easy. You need to burn a CD with the firmware version you want to upgrade. And them make the following procedure:

1. -Put the key in "MAR" position,
  2. -Put the CD in the nav, if the says "CD error" its ok don't get scared, after that message, turn the key in "STOP" position,
  3. -Turn on the nav, without using the key, press the big round button, used to control the volume
  4. -Wait until you get the message "Flash programming in progress - do not turn off the system"
  5. -After you get that message press in the phone key pad the buttons number 1,2,3,4; and them push the big round button under de SIM card. Do that sequence fast and accurately;
  6. -If you do the sequence correctly the phone key pad will flash twice, in not you must repeat the sequence,
  7. -After the two flashes wait until the processes is done. When its done you'll get the message "Result OK", and the cd auto ejects. You must take it before the nav swallows it again
  8. -Them turn the nav off, using the volume button,
  9. -Put the key in "MAR" position, wait until the Alfa logo get's on, the process is done,
  10. -Remove the key from ignition
You can check this procedure here, but it's in french. You can also see wow to enter the hidden menu in the nav and confirm the firmware you have installed.

The latest firmware for your car (2002), is this one. Just burn the CD image to a CD.

As you can see is very easy and it takes less than five minutes to do.:thumbs:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've eventually got round to updating, it worked perfectly.....well almost.
I used the link you gave to the CDimage, however when I installed it all the menus changed from English ti Italian !!! Is there a way to change it?
Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 2004 GT with Connect Nav +

Could you please take a look at your service menu in ConnectNav + unit if you have any newer and original firmware. I know that Mp5.0 is the latest, but not the original one.
Right now I have 4.07 and would like to upgrade to newer and original firmware.

http://www.shrani.si/f/1v/GF/3H9mfr3u/dsc00304.jpg
I don't know the latest official version to your system. Your uses a different firmware type, since is from 2004. Don't use in any case the ones mentioned here, to your system the version number of any firmware is always x.xx were x are number's.
But I don't see any problem fitting the 5.0 since it will enable you to use mp3's; it is specific to your system. Many people have done it without problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've eventually got round to updating, it worked perfectly.....well almost.
I used the link you gave to the CDimage, however when I installed it all the menus changed from English ti Italian !!! Is there a way to change it?
Cheers
Yes, and is very easy. The NAV uses the language used in the on-board computer. As you have upgraded the NAV sets it self by default in Italian, but the language on the on-board computer remains the same. Sow you just have to set the language in your on-bord computer, first set it to Italian or any other language and them repeat the language selection and choose English. That will do the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Different problem with connect+

Hi guys I have a 2002 147 with the connect+ system, i am having a simalar problem, It turns on but nothing shows up in the windows on the main screen or the cd screen, the audio menu is also blanked out, other functions seem to work ok. It has done this a couple of times before but was always resolved by turning the car off and on again. I'm confused about what to do as i have no cash to get a new system. Anyhelp would be appreciated greatly! Has anyone esle experienced the same thing? I've tried dissconnecting battery but no luck :-(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts