Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here searching for a fix for my funny 147.
Also English isn't my first language I'm sorry if I'm grammatically incorrect and my punctuation is wrong.

About the Car:
2001 Alfa Romeo 147
2.0 Twin Spark Selespeed
bought with 90'000km now 110'000km
The last service was at 105'000km

Story:
I have had the car since august 2020 and never had any "Bad" problems.
Low battery because of an aftermarket subwoofer and the errors that come with a low battery.
But now exactly last week (Easter 2021) I went for a drive and the car shut off mid-drive in 3rd Gear.
(i shift myself because I fear it sucking too much power and shutting off randomly (happened twice already))
I rolled downhill to stop on the side of the road and tried starting the car. it turned over but didn't start.
before I tried again I opened the driver door ( i thought it was the selespeed pump) and it started but with every code on the planet on my display (check engine light came on) I ignored it because I had to get home I didn't have any problems on the drive home.

on the same day, I went to a friend. It went without a problem. but when I wanted to go home it started fine, I put it in reverse drove 2 meters and it died. I tried waiting for 10 seconds again it didn't work, disconnect and reconnected the battery and my friend got in and gave it full throttle with the ignition and it started. When driving home EVERY TIME I shifted into another gear the engine would die mid-drive and then after one second it would start back up and work fine.

(Lights also flickered every time I shifted but after shifting into every gear it didn't happen again.)

today I wanted to drive home after work and again after driving in reverse and putting it in first gear the car died, peeped, and gave me every error code. After 10 seconds started and worked fine until I reversed again and drove another 10 meters in first gear. but still, after waiting 10 seconds, it still worked fine... I don't understand lol.

TL;DR
Car dies mid-drive 1 time.
After reversing and driving 10 meters in 1st gear car dies and doesn't start.
waiting 10 seconds and trying to start the car it runs fine.

I looked at the codes and they were:
U1600
P1687

I searched online but I always find different problems on each website.

Also, my selespeed oil is going somewhere I don't know where 馃槄 it isn't leaking under the car or in the engine compartment I refilled it 1 time because it wouldn't shift without it.

My mechanic is ghosting me:(.

Thank you and I'm sorry if I'm doing this forum thing wrong:).

Kind regards
Phen from Switzerland

Registered
As it may be electrical, have a look at this which is in the tech guides section;

Hopefully that will help but you may have a Selespeed issue if you are losing fluid.

Registered
If you are losing Selespeed fluid and there is no signs of a leak anywhere then it is most likely leaking through the Selespeed Actuator into the gearbox. You can check this by removing the gearbox filling plug, located on the front side of the gearbox.

If excess fluid runs out of the fill hole you have found where the Selespeed is going.

Reactions: Phen

Registered
More likely your battery is dead/dying. Check battery Voltage when car is sitting with engine off, should be 12.4-12.8V for a good battery. Then check battery voltage with engine running, should be around 13.8-14.4 volts.

Reactions: Phen

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
If you are losing Selespeed fluid and there is no signs of a leak anywhere then it is most likely leaking through the Selespeed Actuator into the gearbox. You can check this by removing the gearbox filling plug, located on the front side of the gearbox.

If excess fluid runs out of the fill hole you have found where the Selespeed is going.
Ok, thanks for the info will check this up with my mechanic :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
More likely your battery is dead/dying. Check battery Voltage when car is sitting with engine off, should be 12.4-12.8V for a good battery. Then check battery voltage with engine running, should be around 13.8-14.4 volts.
The battery is 3 months old, last time it died because I left my radio on ( for some odd reason it isn't connected to the ignition) but the radio shows that while the engine runs battery voltage is 13.4-14.1 but I will check with a voltmeter just to make sure thank you very much for the information :)

Registered
U1600 code is failure to read the electronic transponder key. Perhaps slow down the starting process or it may just be deterioration of terminals.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
U1600 code is failure to read the electronic transponder key. Perhaps slow down the starting process or it may just be deterioration of terminals.
Thank you for the Info will check the connections and so on :) have a nice day!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts