Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, looking for opinions on some planned mods.

I have a CF3 (I think) 2004 147 2.0TS. I've already upgraded the suspension and brakes and am now looking to make some performance mods. I used Alfa CF1/2/3 Engine Identification to identify the engine type, I'm sure there must be a safer way - please let me know! :)

I've been talking to the Wizard and am hoping to fit one of his manifolds to go with my SS exhaust system. I intend to compliment everything with a sports cat and a remap. I already have GSR induction and am looking to fit a discreet vent in the front mesh to get more air to the intake.

Realistically, how much power gain do you think these combined mods will give me over the stock 150bhp as standard?

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Hi all, looking for opinions on some planned mods.

I have a CF3 (I think) 2004 147 2.0TS. I've already upgraded the suspension and brakes and am now looking to make some performance mods. I used Alfa CF1/2/3 Engine Identification to identify the engine type, I'm sure there must be a safer way - please let me know! :)

I've been talking to the Wizard and am hoping to fit one of his manifolds to go with my SS exhaust system. I intend to compliment everything with a sports cat and a remap. I already have GSR induction and am looking to fit a discreet vent in the front mesh to get more air to the intake.

Realistically, how much power gain do you think these combined mods will give me over the stock 150bhp as standard?

Any help greatly appreciated. :thumbs:
Well you need to thoroughly think over the manifold as I had some issues with mine...

Without touching the block I reckon you could probably get up to about 168-170 realistically but every engine is different so it depends...

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well you need to thoroughly think over the manifold as I had some issues with mine...

Without touching the block I reckon you could probably get up to about 168-170 realistically but every engine is different so it depends...
I was hoping for 170 or thereabouts. Wizard mentioned some improvements to the manifold to avoid lambda issues with the CF3. Is this where you had problems? Anything else I should be aware of?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i think with only an inlet mod and an exh manifold mod you wont get past 160, the new manifold only offers some good improvement if you optimise the flow in your cilinder head (flowing etc.)

you can get +-170hp from stage 1 catcams, inlet mod (bmc) and adjusted engine mm.
the manifold itself wont win you much more then 3-4hp (and is very expensive)

i have an supersprint manifold an ss cat replacement and i dont think i won more then 5-7hp tops.
however the sound is amazing!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Hi James,
I'm getting a pair of TS cams re-profiled by piper and with out a map, no exhaust mods on a standard engine +10bhp!

My engine has been rebuilt with a lightened and balanced bottom end,
Full s/s Alfaholics exhaust including custom manifold, they made it 3/8th of an inch larger.
So with the cams should get me to around 185 bhp with a good map, give or take a few :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi James,
I'm getting a pair of TS cams re-profiled by piper and with out a map, no exhaust mods on a standard engine +10bhp!

My engine has been rebuilt with a lightened and balanced bottom end,
Full s/s Alfaholics exhaust including custom manifold, they made it 3/8th of an inch larger.
So with the cams should get me to around 185 bhp with a good map, give or take a few :)
Cheers Andy. :thumbs: Did you mod the head at all?
My only issue is that it all sounds so expensive. I'm wondering whether I should finally just bite the bullet and buy myself a GTA. :inlove:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Cheers Andy. :thumbs: Did you mod the head at all?
My only issue is that it all sounds so expensive. I'm wondering whether I should finally just bite the bullet and buy myself a GTA. :inlove:
:thumbs:

I was thinking about looking into increase bhp on my bella but with the cost and hustle and I too have the same idea and get a v6.My dilemma is which one, the 156 GTA, 147GTA or the 3.2 GT.:D

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Did you mod the head at all?

I rebuilt the head myself and kept it standard, there's alots of debate on port and polishing
Link
The design of the TS head is very good already

Here's a Link

Up to you mate? I wasn't selling my Spider :cool:

I've bought a silver GTV I'm gonna super charge/turbo (haven't decided yet) should see 230 bhp to start with :thumbs:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
From experience and spending well over £7,000 on parts alone on my 147 2.0. I would recommend not upgrading and buying a GTA, ok I had something great and unique, but then the GTA is :inlove:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:thumbs:

I was thinking about looking into increase bhp on my bella but with the cost and hustle and I too have the same idea and get a v6.My dilemma is which one, the 156 GTA, 147GTA or the 3.2 GT.:D
Right, I've decided. No more upgrades to my twinny, the money would be better spent going towards buying a 147GTA.
I can take my FSD's across too! :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
OA and guys - unfortunately we don't have GTAs 156s... So it Ia really a case of more serious tunning of the 2.0 TS. I have a cf2 with C&B cams, SS exhaust manifold, 100 CPI cat and 60mm ragazzon exhaust and backbox... Remapped, etc..
Do you think flowing the heads would be a worthwhile mod? There are some mechanics that in addition to flowing the heads modify some angles at the valves, in order to increase the turbulence in the mixture and imcrease power, or so they say...
Never heard in the forum about valve angle mods... Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
OA and guys - unfortunately we don't have GTAs 156s... So it Ia really a case of more serious tunning of the 2.0 TS. I have a cf2 with C&B cams, SS exhaust manifold, 100 CPI cat and 60mm ragazzon exhaust and backbox... Remapped, etc..
Do you think flowing the heads would be a worthwhile mod? There are some mechanics that in addition to flowing the heads modify some angles at the valves, in order to increase the turbulence in the mixture and imcrease power, or so they say...
Never heard in the forum about valve angle mods... Any thoughts ?
I did all of this to my 2.0. Yes it made the car special, but the cf3 isn't as easy to mod as a cf2 engine.

I flowed the head, increased compression and had 172 cams, with induction and remap I hit 182BHP and 172ft lb torque (the torque was immense, usually its 134ft lb!) To get much more power it would make the car pretty much undriveable at low speeds around town. The high lift cams make the twinspark very lumpy.

I also increased the valves by 1mm on the intake. See below pic....

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/operationburn/IMG_1988.jpg

And the engine itself...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c282/operationburn/photo3.jpg

M

·
0 Posts
Might as well upgrade to a GTA, I've thought the same seeing the road tax is the same price!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

D

·
0 Posts
From experience and spending well over £7,000 on parts alone on my 147 2.0. I would recommend not upgrading and buying a GTA, ok I had something great and unique, but then the GTA is :inlove:
True that or just throw away the engine and fit a coop turbo engine whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think with only an inlet mod and an exh manifold mod you wont get past 160, the new manifold only offers some good improvement if you optimise the flow in your cilinder head (flowing etc.)

you can get +-170hp from stage 1 catcams, inlet mod (bmc) and adjusted engine mm.
the manifold itself wont win you much more then 3-4hp (and is very expensive)

i have an supersprint manifold an ss cat replacement and i dont think i won more then 5-7hp tops.
however the sound is amazing!
Hey, i am interested in catcams. Does anyone know how are they compared to C&B? See on youtube they are pretty lumpy.

I'm thinking of around 180hp with cams, head p&p and full exhaust including manifold and intake. Tuned by a unichip most likely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the catcams stage 1 are very decent, very good to live with.
only when its cold outside(beneath 5C degrees) it is a little bit lumpy.
The catcams will give you a bit more torque through the entire rev range, and above 5500 more HP.
But more importantly a wider powerband....it really shifts between 5500 and 7500rpm, There it makes all the diffrence.

i think with these cams and a flowed intake throttlebode and head, bmc cda. you should be pushing 175-180bhp, do know it will cost you, quite alot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts