Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Slight newbie on here! been Alfa owner for a few years now, my little 147 must have been a bad buy :confused: I've had a few jobs done front arms, tyres, steering rack, service, belts, gear selector bushed on the gearbox an selector housing (nice jobs.... NOT) ect nothing major!! but I can't get it to feel happy on the road? it's a the point I don't really wont to drive her that far :( . I know it need a couple of wheel bearing front an rear for the MOT and one of there rear shocks is leaking oil, ( going to put a full set of lowered spring an unrated shocks on, 1st QU, is 40mm drop in the front too much? is got the standard 205/55/16's on, so back to my problem. it feels very twitchy an a bit wonderers an seems to roll loads in the corners?!? which doesn't fill me with confidence, also the engine feels a bit lumpy if you cursing along its like its misfiring especially in 4gear??? had the MAF on it a few weeks ago, an did a ECU reset, an some second hand coil packs, New set of plugs, there's also movement on the gear stick move back an forth when on an off the power at low or high speeds an slowing down its like the engine/gearbox is bouncing, you get this very jerky feeling? oh for got o say the front tyres are Bridgestone's (one rear is a Pirelli an the other rear is a cheep as chips thing!) any and all help would be gratefully received!! As my wife keeps trying to make me get rid of her! the car that is! think the wife would go 1st:lol:

Thanks Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got any thought's on it ??? had another look round it last night, no play in any suspension Ball joints, busses or rubbers, there all look like they've been there form new! not Shure if that's a good thing!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
40mm drop will be fine. 30mm is better due to how low the sump is on the Alfa's.

However - First things first.
Toy need to get the wheel bearings and shock done first. You don't have to go all out and buy lowering or expensive suspension.

The handling setup and geometry on Alfa's is pretty damn good out of the factory. Ok the arch gap is redliculous but it means I can go over speed bumps with no issue.

As there are alot of jobs I would concentrate on the main ones first before you start tinkering around modifiying. Untill you get those parts the car will feel uneasy.

What engine is in the car?

The 147 does have quite a bit of body roll but this does not mean its bad at handling. Just means its setup quite soft. If you have a TS engine car you can upgrade the roll bar to a GTA or Eibach to stop this happening so much.

I added a top strut which seemed to help transistion from one direction to another to make it tighter. However lets not go off track.

If the car feels fidgetty its usually down to bushings needing a replacement.

Also you can replace the bushings on the gearstick which will stop movement a little bit. If its moving majorly then there is a chance you may need to replace the bottom engine mount. This is the one that stops the engine moving forward and backward as you accelerate and decelerate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Scott for that!

Yea it's the 20TS, I'v already fitted poly bushes to the front ARB, when I did the steering rack job was going to do the rear with the shocks job.

yea the job of the springs an shocks for the price for 1 shock which I would be replacing 1 anyway, for a few more quid's I got the set, there 40 drop in the front an 30 in the rear,

wheel bearing an brakes are the MOT jobs anyway and if i'm there makes sense to just do the shocks an springs all at the same time

Id replaced every bush on the gear selector I could get! still that bit of side to side movement but nothing major!

could be the rear gearbox mount as you can lift it with you hand, an it would make the engine bounce on slowing down.

do you think the Bridgestone tyres would have an affect on the twitchy feeling??

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
No tyres should not really make it feel twitchy unless they are utter poo or wrong pressures.
The rear gearbox mount can be replaced if it has play.

However I've never owned a fiat or alfa that actually has a direct gearstick. They all seem to be a bit loose and wobbly but function perfectly well.

Check the simple things and get an alignment done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea tracking checked we have a old optical 4 wheel agliment kit, it does the job! Thinking i'm just going to do it all an if it still feels crap, mayb see if there's any alfa owners near to me to come an have a go and see if it's me, haha, yea I though of a strut brace, could do with a cheep one found!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all! Well gearbox mount order, springs an shocks order, wheel bearings ordered. I forgot to ask, when spring an shocks are sorted should I need any adjustment to tracking from towing in about 3mm rear an towing in just off straight ahead in the front. Im keeping the standered 205/55/16s on as there new tyres going to have alloys refurbed, I know by going 40mm in the front an 30mm in the rear will alter the camber but will have to live with that! Its shurly going to make it feel better!!! ..... ?

G

·
0 Posts
If even just removing and refitting your original struts and springs then the entire geometry requires a cursory check for any misalignment.
Fitting lower, uprated springs and dampers is a definite geometry reset;)

With regards to it feeling better?
That all depends if you can live with the harshness, the following of ruts in the road and hopping under heavy braking that comes with uprated suspension.
You would see just as dramatic improvement with new standard shocks and springs given how bad the handling was anyway... It's a common misconception that uprated dampers and springs are an essential requirement. Look at it this way... No owner complains about the way an Alfa handles when brand new from the factory do they?;)
That's why we buy them or we would hand the keys back after the test drive:D
If you had a goosed shock absorber on the rear then that would have dramatically affected the handling not just on the rear but even more so on the front. Imagine driving without one rear wheel fitted. That's the same effect as the opposing front suspension lifts, losing contact with the road surface while going light and heavy as the rear is dipping and bouncing all the time with no resistance to the rear spring rebound offered.
It's no wonder the handling is bad.
Alfa's in particular are very sensitive to any shock absorber failure due to the nature of independent rear and double wishbone front set up.

40mm drop at the front and 30mm rear seems a bit unusual to me as the 147 has a naturally raised rear end already... It will look even more pronounced with a ten mm difference added, like a big lady picking up a penny... Imho it should be a standard drop all round to preserve the natural balance the car had from the factory.

Horses for courses though I suppose.

Good luck;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,

Thanks for that! Yea I thought the differance in drop was a bit unusal! But this set is coming off a mate who bought a few sets of thees from Germany, he, s got the same as me 147 2.0ts with standard wheels/tyres, fitted this kit him self yes its low in the front but not to bad, my 147 when measure arch gap every gap is different, But it is as stander higher in the rear than the front. Just hope its not going to make it feel worse! I'm not the trp to thrash it an hammer on the brakes, well not sll the time! so should'nt be to much of an issue! (I hope). What would everyone suggest for the wheel agliment, when its lowered?

Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts