Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all was wondering if its possible to change ones own waterpump on this motor.
Searches turn up belt jobs etc. My belt was done at 100,000 km and she is now running hot at idle speeds, so I figured its the pump. All pipes are 2011 new so no leaks there. Have ordered pump from AC but that was 15 days ago so I guess thats not coming soon.
Open road she is a dream, its just this sudden rise in temp when sitting on an off ramp robot that concerns me. Sitting now at 119 000 km so she is due for her 20 000 km service. Keeping an eye on the reserve bottle and using some water.
The fan kicks in at 95-100 degrees and temps come back to normal.PS: also ordered new thermostat just in case. Radiator was new in 2005. She is a 2002 model.
Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It is most probably the thermostat.

When cruising, the thermostat closes a little to keep the motor at optimum temperature. When you stop at the robot the thermostat is still in the same position, allowing only small amounts of cold water into the engine and the engine temperature rises.

I think the thermostat is lazy and slow in reacting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Corrie, never thought of that, makes sense to me - will try replacing that first! Anybody on here know "how to diy" the thermostat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry if you got 1st incomplete msg, six thumbs on one hand - as i was saying - if you do need to replace wpump, try to get one with brass impeller, try AK Components KYA Sands 011 708-7234, as you know, getting stuff in SA sucks big time. Nappy hunting - Albundy53

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
your fan should be coming in a lot earlier, at 90 degrees and switching to second stage at around 95. But i totally agree with the thermostat. It normally fails not fully open and not fully closed.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thermostat as well.
The water pump impeller breaks loose from the shaft so at higher rpm it starts slipping so not really your symptoms.
Like Ian said it sounds like the first speed on your fan may not be working. It could be the resistor block mounted on the fan cowling that’s faulty or even something simple like a fuse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys for ideas on this. Step 1 - get new thermostat and see if resolved. ArCtz R600.96 ex vat - still no show from them. Will give AK a bell in the new year. Shot for the link to the DIY bit.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Not to disagree with the others,but in answer to your first question.

Yes you can, but you will need cam lock tools.

The reason your search turned up belt changes is that the water pump is driven by the cam belt. So you need to get that off, to get at the water pump and to get it all back right, you'll need cam locks.

Just FYI, because I think you don't need a new pump.
The thermostat is easy on the 147, it was one of the first things I did on mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts