Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a beautiful alfa romeo 147 2.0 selespeed reg 2002 3 door flame red, on one unlucky evening I gave it my little brother whos 18 and new to driving. the fool saw a bottle of semi synthetic oil that i purchased the day before to do a service on it for some unknown reason he felt that the engine need oil and poured half of the bottle into the warm engine he processed to drive for 10 miles and then the engine die and now the engine turns over by ever starts please help don’t want to folk out for a new engine....... thank you everybody

·
Registered
426 Posts
is that half a 1 liter top up bottle or half a full 5 liter can. If its the later then its very overfilled.

Not sure what you can do about that, drain the whole lot? Whats on the dipstick, level that is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the 5 litre bottle :( my mate took the air box intake tube off where it joints the throttle body and he says that the engine is not pressuring and shows that oil seals are broken :eek: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) I dained the oil out the dip stick was showing a high level 2) the oil level was at the correct level before he drove it.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It could easily be completely unrelated to your brother putting oil in the engine.

For example: when was the cambelt last replaced?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
could it be the extra oil pressure and load on the engine causing the cambelt to go?
Very very unlikely.
High oil level does not cause high oil pressure.

If the oil level is too high the crank shaft starts dipping into the oil causing drag on the engine, loosing power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car only has 77k on the clock, full service im the second owner so the cam belt most have been changed. the car try’s to start almost starts the sparks are all working.

can it be the crank senser? i had a similar problem with a golf gti..

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The car only has 77k on the clock, full service im the second owner so the cam belt most have been changed. the car try’s to start almost starts the sparks are all working.
Never assume anything!

But in this case, if the sparkplugs are firing that probably means the camshafts are turning (because they also use the cam sensor).

Is the fuel pump running?
Have you checked the fuel reset under the passenger seat?

Has it actually got any petrol in the tank? ...!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok theres half a tank of petrol whats the fuel reset switch and what does it look like??? how can i check if the cam belt is gone or not i live in west london is there any alfa experts local im willing to pay good rates of pay has i dont my car toed to a garage

thank you

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
But if you undo and reconnect the brown plug on the top of the engine it may spark back to life. The fuel reset on the 147 is acually at the fron left of the passengers footwell, circled in this picture.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the petrol reset switch has'nt worked, ive recorded my car in action and posted the video on youtube please go to youtube and type alfa romeo 147 wont start, please tell what think is wrong with the car.

:rolleyes:

thank you

·
Registered
426 Posts
How do you know the spark plugs are firing? Have you taken them out?

Is't it possible that some of the excess oil has got past the piston rings. When the car was on its outing with your brother the car was warmed up nicely and any oil getting pasted the rings was burned up. But as the car has cooled any excess oil still lurking in the combustion chamber is stopping the plugs from burning the fuel and therefore not starting.

Its a theory anyway.

I would check the plugs and clean them if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that sounds like a good idea, when my mate took the plugs out they were soaked 1 month ago, i will check them all tomorrow thank you for your advice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts