Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

My car: '02 147 2.0L 56k ml

A week ago, while driving on a motorway at sane speeds (130kph, 80mph), my much loved 147 gave me the dreaded MCSF. I had seen it a couple of times before (from new, actually), and had learned to ignore it and it would go away.

This time it was scarier, because instead of a constant error light, it was beeping and flashing.

Slowed down, pulled over at the next petrol station for a quick inspection, and everything looked fine. No weird smells, oil was topped up, fluids were ok. Started the car again, and the error went away. Hundred miles further, same thing happened again.

On both occasions I noticed that the temp gauge was sitting at 80, instead of the usual 90, when the error occurred. After the error had cleared the temp went up to 90 again.

I managed to complete the journey without incidents, and the error vanished as misteriously as it had appeared....

'Till yesterday:

Same thing as before: motorway cruising speeds, MCSF, panic, slowed down. This time the error went from blinking to stable before I had a chance to pull over. Temp down to 80.

Ended up pulling over at my destination, let the car cool down for a few hours. When I started it again, the error was gone and the return trip was without incidents.

On all occasions I did NOT notice any change in the car's behavior. Was revving ok, didn't appear to lose power, business
as usual if it wasn't for the error and the temp.

One other problem i've been having of late is that the power windows sometimes are "lazy", that is, the window takes a long time to close, sometimes doesn't completely close at all, I have to pull the button again for it to close completely. This happens whether the engine's off or one, doesn't seem to make a difference. Other times the windows behave as supposed to, i.e. close normally, but this is rare.

Reason i'm mentioning the windows is because I know that a battery that's about to roll over and die can make the ECU throw all sorts of strange errors.

Strapped for cash ATM, and would like to avoid a visit to the dealers if possible, but if these errors are an indication of a major disaster about to happen, i'll book it in tomorrow.

I'm going to get the battery tested, and I've just ordered a OBDII cable to read the errors from the ECU with FiatECUScan, but while i'm waiting for the cable i'd like to know if anyone else has had this happen to them and what was the cause.

I would also love if any of the local wizards would chip in and comment.

Of course, as soon as I have the error list i'll update this post.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Pedro

C

·
0 Posts
In regards to the slow windows i just recently sorted all 4 of mine. Squirted some silicone lubricant down the sides in the runners & they now all go up & down smoothly with no hesitation. (and my battery was fine)

I know nothing about the first problem you said but get it hooked up with the lead & i'm sure it'll tell you, you will have to modify the lead to read the ABS. I only just learned about it & cleared some ABS errors yesterday.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
In regards to the slow windows i just recently sorted all 4 of mine. Squirted some silicone lubricant down the sides in the runners & they now all go up & down smoothly with no hesitation. (and my battery was fine)
You sprayed the silicone lube down side walls of the window slide (in the door) is it? I have some resistance when winding the window up and down. It squeeks loudly too which is annoying as hell.

It only appears to be the top half of the window that is rubbing against the placed rubber that is over the door lock "button". I was wondering if putting some silicone lube would be alright without smearing the window.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Getting two symtoms at the same time suggests a common cause - this assumes that the window problem is unrelated but it could just be part of the same thing.
If I got the symptoms you describe I'd suspect a poor electrical connection somewhere, my guess is that it is getting hot, building up resistance and reducing the voltage and/or current available to both the engine sensor and the temperature sensor and triggering the warning. I'd suspect an earth rather than a live connection but that is without looking at a wiring diagram there could well be a shared power supply.
First I'd check that all the fuses are pushed in well, maybe even remove and clean them. Then look at the wiring harness connectors, particularly around the temperature sensor (probably close to the thermostat housing), I don't know how you'd identify the sensors that cause the MSCF message but the temperature sensor should be easy enough to spot.
Hope this helps

C

·
0 Posts
You sprayed the silicone lube down side walls of the window slide (in the door) is it? I have some resistance when winding the window up and down. It squeeks loudly too which is annoying as hell.

It only appears to be the top half of the window that is rubbing against the placed rubber that is over the door lock "button". I was wondering if putting some silicone lube would be alright without smearing the window.
Yes, at the sides of the window. No need to remove the door cards.

Sounds like it may be the right corner (drivers right) that is squeaking. About half way is when the bottom right corner first pokes up from the trim, this rubs against the rubber trim which goes around the door. Just pulls off.

Lift some of it up & then try it.

I places some grease on this part as the silicon wasn't stopping the noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Thank you all for chipping in.
Reason I'm not so sure the slow windows problem is due to lube issues is because sometimes (say, 30% of the times I close it from fully open) it closes just fine, not lazy at all.
Other times it will close slowly and with effort, and on occasion it will stop mid through.

Still, I will try to lube it and see what happens, can't make it worse, I reckon.

Still waiting for the OBDII cable to arrive, will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE:

I tested the battery (granted, with a cheap battery tester) and it looks ok. Didn't come below 50% even when starting the engine.

At last, the cable just made its way here from China and I've just finished reading the ECU
error codes. Stored in memory were:

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

These don't look even remotely related to the slow windows problem, so i'll be following Crsk's tip and be shopping for some silicone lubricant.

As for the misfires, I recently ('bout 1yr ago) changed the main spark plugs (this is a TS, remember), but I didn't change the smaller ones. Didn't use NHK either, they were twice as expensive as the Champion ones that I ended up having fitted, thought it wouldn't make a difference. Was I wrong to have cheaped out of the good stuff?

Finally, how would this error code relate to the sudden 10º drop in temp that I experienced every time the MCSF blinking light came about?

FYI, I did a bit of motorway driving these past two weekends and the error didn't came about.

So, you experts, how I should go about next?
Change plugs/coil packs, reset ECU errors and hope it's all sorted out?

Any tips, hints or general guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Pedro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts