Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at the figures for the two cars with the 2.0 t.spark engine in, why is the smaller of the two the slower?:confused: Or have I found the wrong figures?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
1) don't assume the smaller car is lighter
2) remember the 147 will only ever have the 150bhp Euro3 engine, many of the 156 figures are with the 155bhp Euro2 engine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) don't assume the smaller car is lighter
2) remember the 147 will only ever have the 150bhp Euro3 engine, many of the 156 figures are with the 155bhp Euro2 engine.
hmm, just thought I might have found the wrong figures.:lol:

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
Both cars feel very similar performance wise on the road.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
The main difference between the 2 cars and say for example they are the same year and both CF3, is the intake air ducting, the 147 has a narrower duct and so the air is slightly more throttled reducing the power of the engine somewhat, the solution, GTA ducting.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
The JTS engine was supposed to be 165bhp too, but a lot only ever ended up with 140bhp.

I think, if my memory serves me correctly that the 156 is slightly more aerodynamic than the 147.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
Both the 2 litre 147 and the 2 litre 156 are relatively tall geared. This makes then good cruisers but beans they are not so good sprinting around the back roads.

Fitting a gearbox and differential from a 1.8 156, or a 145 QV will make them much more lively. If you use the 145 gearbox the slave cylinder for the clutch will also need to be swapped over.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just a subjective reply as I have nothing that I can prove it with ... but of the recent 2.0 litre Alfas the quickest to me seemed to be the old 146ti.

I can hardly tell a difference in performance between the 156 / 147 and the current GT I have had.

At some point or other I have had one of the above models from new, doing about 25,000 plus miles a year in them, keeping them for 3 years and then moving on to another Alfa.

Each of the cars had slightly different attributes - but all enjoyable to live with.

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
My JTS (along with another on the same day) got 145bhp :lol: 20bhp down on claimed figures. At the time mine had 1200miles on the clock, the other about 30,000+ so one still new, the other really bedded in.

I am complaining to ARUK about the issues and from what I gather so far, the engines are tested OUTSIDE the cars, which means no intake etc to restrict them (the intake on the GT is a farce).

The problem is, I bought the engine INSIDE the car so as far as I'm concerned, it should be somewhere near the advertised figures. I wonder how many other cars on the road are way under the advertised figures?!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
(the intake on the GT is a farce).
Same intake is used on the TS 147.

Besides, even with the better intake of a 156 there were still issues with the 2.0JTS, so I don't think the GT's intake is to blame.

V

·
0 Posts
I thought the problem with the early JTS's was that the cam profile and the ECU weren't a good match, leading to low power and burnt out valves?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I thought the problem with the early JTS's was that the cam profile and the ECU weren't a good match
That is my understanding too.

There was a change of inlet cam in very early 2003.
Only 156 JTS should have that problem because the early cams are not listed for the GT or GTV/Spider 2.0JTS

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
156 is the best Alfa ever made ... full stop :D

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
Same intake is used on the TS 147.

Besides, even with the better intake of a 156 there were still issues with the 2.0JTS, so I don't think the GT's intake is to blame.
So the 147 TS has the drainpipe intake too?? :eek: :tut:

I really don't know what the problem is, but I aint happy thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
My JTS (along with another on the same day) got 145bhp :lol: 20bhp down on claimed figures. At the time mine had 1200miles on the clock, the other about 30,000+ so one still new, the other really bedded in.

I am complaining to ARUK about the issues and from what I gather so far, the engines are tested OUTSIDE the cars, which means no intake etc to restrict them (the intake on the GT is a farce).

The problem is, I bought the engine INSIDE the car so as far as I'm concerned, it should be somewhere near the advertised figures. I wonder how many other cars on the road are way under the advertised figures?!
I think that is a pretty standard measure for power output (Society of Automotive Engineers) particularly in America.:)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Girls, girls, the 155 AND the 156 are both lovely......

G5een, I'm thinking of fitting an Autodelta intake to my GT JTS. Worth it? Graham P seemed to think so, but said you had a piccy of what it replaces.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts