Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Don't know about fitting but it's to expensive in my opinion can get cheaper from ebay
worse than that, it sounds crap,

expensive, crap and difficult is not a good combination.

By contrast, now I am back in the 166, that sounds superb :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
'All highs and all lows it must be a bose' someone once told me!..Yeah in the 'hifi' world Bose are very poor, but I've heard them in an A3 and TT - not bad, though obviously no where near as good as a custom set up but would've thought the Bose would clearly be better than the standard one. Have to admit though that the standard set up in my 147 when carefully configured sounds quite decent.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
Just wondering if the Bose sound system from a 156 will fit in a 147
for starters, does your car already have Bose? are you wanting the parts?

if not, retrofitting a Bose system into a non-Bose car is a nightmare, and not worth doing. you basically need to rewire the car, including powerwiring to the amplifier, new lengths of speakerwire, connections to the headunit, etc.

if you are wanting parts, some of them should be interchangable.

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I don't have the car yet! Was just wondering if it was a possible option.

It sounds as if most of you are saying the Bose basically isn't any better and not worth it.

Do the standard (& Bose) speakers run straight off the head unit, or is there an amp somewhere?

What size components would I be looking at buying if I wanted to replace the standard units?

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
it is not a good value option to retro fit Bose, because of the hassles involved. i could list them, but basically the system needs (re)wiring in the same fashion an aftermarket system requires. so you may as well go aftermarket because it can sound better, depending upon what you choose and how much you spend.

it is do-able, to fit the Bose, but buy a 147 version, not 156. this can appeal because things like the sub integrate nicely into the boot. but it is far from 'drop in'.

Bose is definitely better than the factory non-Bose setup. but a quality aftermarket system can easily be better again. standard speakers run directly off the headunit (no external amp); Bose speakers run off the Bose amplifier. you cannot/should not run Bose speakers directly off the headunit because they are 2ohm; this impedence is too low for a headunit to cope with, without potential to overheat and shut down.

you can fit virtually any 6.5" speakers into the factory position, by replacing the plastic factory speaker mount with an mdf wood spacer ring cut to the right shape/size (standard installation procedure). if you buy 'component' speakers (ie: tweeter is physically separate from the woofer; this is like the factory non-Bose speakers), the new tweeter is often bigger than factory, and needs a little work/modification to mount into the factory location.

i can elaborate if you are going to install them yourself; if not, then any good pro installer should have no major issues mounting them.

:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shiny.

I would install it all myself...

Looking at 2 at the moment - 1 with Bose, 1 without. So I'll let you know what happens!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts