Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having recently treated my 147 to a new cambelt, variator, MAF (best £100 ever spent, FWIW) and new front and rear badges, I think it's about time the tyres were replaced. The front set are getting near the legal limit, the rears aren't too bad, but I can't bring myself to change only two out of the four corners!

At the moment I have Goodyear Eagle NCT-5s on the front, and Bridgestones at the back. I had hoped/planned to upgrade to 17" Brera wheels with a low profile tyre, but as nice a fancy as it was, I've since discovered that despite both being 5 stud mounts, the Brera wheels do not match the 147's PCD.

I have heard there are PCD conversion adapters available, but nobody seems to recommend them, so unless someone has a solution to the above problem, I'm stuck with my stock 15" alloys.

I'm now planning on fitting Toyo T1-Rs all round. As I understand, the OEM size on my vehicle is 190/60R15, and when I purchased it, 195/60R15s were and still are fitted. Sadly, the T1-R doesn't seem to be available in either of these sizes. They are, however, available in 205/55R15, and that's only an 8mm difference in overall diameter compared to what I have fitted currently. Of course, they are 10mm wider tread than my existing 195s, and 15mm wider than the OEM tyres would be.

So, after all that, can anyone tell me if the 205/55R15s will fit my rims? Or, even better, has anyone successfully fitted Brera alloys to a 147 and, if so, how? :confused:

Counting on your help, and thanks in advance.

D

·
0 Posts
Is there something wrong with fitting 16"/17" 147/156/gt alloys ?

Was it particularly the looks of brera/159 alloys ?

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Why not buy some 16" or 17" 156/147/GT wheels?

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
...They are, however, available in 205/55R15, and that's only an 8mm difference in overall diameter compared to what I have fitted currently.
Don't do it.
The 195/60R15 are already the smallest diameter tyres in the 147/156/GT range, so fitting a tyres another 8mm smaller is not a good idea.

The correct 16" size would be 205/55R16, so obviously your proposed size is 25mm smaller.

However, the 156 used 185/65R15 and 205/60R16, but T1-R don't come in those sizes either.

So, if you want to use T1-R, get 16" or 17" rims.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably, like me he can't find any. I've been on the hunt for months:(
Exactly. I assume alloys from the GTA would not be PCD compatible with the 147?

Don't do it.
The 195/60R15 are already the smallest diameter tyres in the 147/156/GT range, so fitting a tyres another 8mm smaller is not a good idea.

The correct 16" size would be 205/55R16, so obviously your proposed size is 25mm smaller.

However, the 156 used 185/65R15 and 205/60R16, but T1-R don't come in those sizes either.

So, if you want to use T1-R, get 16" or 17" rims.
Oh dear, had hoped to get away with such a small difference in size :(

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
s/h 16" 147/156/GT/GTV/Spider rims should be easy to find if you are set on using Toyo T1-R.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
s/h 16" 147/156/GT/GTV/Spider rims should be easy to find if you are set on using Toyo T1-R.
Nothing's set in stone, I just happen to have a preference for the Toyos, although I see that Continental Contact 2s are available in 195/60/R15, so I might end up going that route.

I would still prefer to fit new wheels, as the stock 15" rims have always looked too small for the car IMO, although not if it means spending insane amounts of money, as I've treated her to enough new parts recently as it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to put this to bed, I decided against upgrading the wheels for the time being, and instead purchased four new Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres the same as my existing size. Hopefully I might actually be able to get some grip back again on the front wheels in the wet once they've been fitted!

C

·
0 Posts
I have Toyo tr1s on my 156 and for me they are fantastic and in the wet the stick to the road with ease

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
I've got over 100 Alfas being broken for spares at work, we've got more than a few decent sets of 16" wheels..

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought a single 17" 147/GT multispoke alloy wheel from Veloces of London for £115. It was identical to my others and brand new. He also said that discount was to be had if I bought four. The multispokes are great wheels imo for the 147. Also Fitted spanking new T1R's to all four corner and they are brilliant, well worth it. Good price on black circles too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got over 100 Alfas being broken for spares at work, we've got more than a few decent sets of 16" wheels..
Talk about bad timing :lol:

Not to worry, by the time these new tyres wear down I'll be looking at replacing the 147 with either a Brera or (and I may get banned for this!) an RX-8, but thanks for the great advise as always chaps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
"So, after all that, can anyone tell me if the 205/55R15s will fit my rims?"

Its probably too late now, but in case someone else is interrested...

My 1.6 147 currently have 205/55R15's Yokohama S-drives on at the moment on the stock mag rims. The do fit and look good. Its actually wider than the standard tyres on a 2l 147. The change in size means the odometer is over reading by about 10km/h (checked with GPS).

Cheers,
Pyrean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts