Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Yesterday, the 147 cut out on my missus when she went to pick up the kids from school across town. The car cut out whilst she was manoeuvring to get parked, so at almost idle revs. The car would not restart. She would have been about 10 minutes from work at that stage, so the car would not have been very warm by that time. She told me that the engine management light had come on, and the MCSF message was showing on the dash.

She waited for about half an hour and the car re-started and drove home fine. It was fully warmed up when she got back. After a quick look around (having had a quick look on here for help) I fired it up and took it out for a spin. It behaved impeccably.

Battery voltage was 12.6 after being parked here for 10 minutes. 14.0 when running. No signs of any loose wires to any of the sensors I could find.

She went out in it again last night, and when she came home the engine management light and MCSF message had gone.

This morning, everything back to normal. Until school time this afternoon, when the exact same situation has recurred.

So the question is - what's the problem? I have done a search on here, and the chief suspect appears to be the CPS. Does this sound like I have diagnosed this properly?

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very similar problem on my now deceased 156. It would start ok but if I had to stop before the engine really warmed up it would die, traffic lights, roundabout you name it. Finally had it towed into main dealer. "Its a new battery you need" ten minutes after leaving dealer car died again. Towed back to dealer, 2 days later when the engine was really cold diagnostics showed I had a fault RPM sensor. Cost of sensor £25, dealer total bill, new Alfa battery and loads of time megga bucks. Do a resistance check on the RPM sensor, if it is not within parameters there is your problem. Best of luck

TonyB

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Alfa strikes again! :mad:

Obtained new CPS on Friday, with O-ring, and on about a foot of cable with the brown cable connector on the end. Brilliant!

Managed to get the car up on ramps (via trolley jack as the front apron fouls if you try to just drive it up). Got the old sensor out of the block, hanging on the end of its cable, only to find that the connector is part of the sensor, and there is no other connector further up the line. The line disappears into the loom which ends up with the throttle body multi-plug on the top of the inlet tract, or so it appears, without any further connector block.

Now what?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, but I have not seen any reference (from any supplier, nor in here) for a 147 TS with a no-cable CPS. I think the JTD CPS sensor is just a sensor with no cable, but the TS ones all have a cable and connector on the end?

L

·
0 Posts
perhaps the engine was replaced with a newer engine which uses that newer sensor type.

what year is your 147?

does the sump have a 'leg' at the back of it or not?

L

·
0 Posts
i didn't ask for the sensor type [ i know the type ]

what shape is the sump? what year is your car?

if you answer these i maybe able to work out whats happened.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was busy adding my previous photo post.

It's a 53 reg, 2003. The sump has a funny triangular-shaped 'extension' built on the back, with shallow fins all along the bottom.

Can you tell me where the engine number is please? I'll check that it fits with the V5, etc.

L

·
0 Posts
you would think that the sensor you were supplied would be the correct model but you'll probablly find it was a 'change-over' year for the engine wiring loom.

I'm sure the people that sold you the replacement sensor can take back the in-correct one & sell you the correct one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm sure they will - I'm just airing my frustration really.

I thought I'd done all the due diligence to avoid exactly this thing happening!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AlfaAndy - yours looks like every other one I have seen. And the one which is now staring at me on my office desk!

I have read I don't know how many threads on here about TS CPS, 1.6 and 2.0, and all have been like that one. So of course, I get to mine, and it's different!

Incidentally, access to it from underneath was reasonably easy. I knew what I was feeling for, and I got a 5mm Allen on a ratchet onto the bolt OK. Nothing else needed to be removed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I've got this one out of the block, please can anyone tell me how I actually unplug the thing? The connector block has a white plastic 'pin' in it - do I have to pull this out before attempting to separate the block (see photo above)?

I might as well do a resistance check on it now I have access.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Its was a different story with the GTV!
Very little access from underneath the car, I have powder coated the alloy intake system and cam covers for the engine so it was a no brainier with this case, it all had to come off at some point.
How much did you pay for the sensor and where from, btw?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts