Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had this issue a little while - like many people I guess, time is short and being able to leave the car at the garage and being car-less is something I've been putting off, as the only issue was when it is cold and needing to warm it up for a few mins.

Anyway:

2001 (y) Alfa 147 1.6ts 105

Issues:

low power if I try and accelerate whilst cold it misfires / coughs / exhaust pops, after 1-2 mins- no misfires - runs fine, may be a little low on power but I was in a v8 before this so hard to tell lol.

Last few days:
Difficulty cold starting - can't accelerate at all when cold - backfires - car feels like you are engine braking, when trying to accelerate.

But seems to run fine when warm.

Errors:

p1178 - mixture 2 strength(multiplicative) Signal High - Fatal - Light On - Present Now
p1177 - Mixture correction(multiplicative) Signal High - Fatal - Light On - Present Now
p0150 - Lambda 2 signal above CATAL - No signal - Stored - Light On - NOT Present Now
p0100 - Air Flow Meter - Signal Low - STored - Light On - Not present Now
p0300 - Misfires detected - Signal High - Stored - Not Present Now
p0303 Cylinder 3 - Ignition Failures - Stored - Not Present Now
p0302 Cylinder 2 - Ignition Failures - Stored - Not Present Now.

I got my cable thru the post today, cleared the errors to see what would come back, drove it around 3 miles - no errors have come back on, however it was warm when I drove it and it drove fine warm before - now it's very poor. It's hard to rev above 2 and get any speed in it at all. I'll take it for a longer drive later - let the ECU try and figure out what's going on again - I didn't really want to be in the way of everyone, roads were quite busy and it was difficult to get above 20 or 30mph.

I was thinking MAF before the cables came, but wanted to get it hooked up to confirm.
The whole Lambda signal thing has thrown me, but TBH I know NOTHING about cars, all my thinking on MAF was due to reading a heap of posts on here on similar issues.

Thanks in advance for any advice given!

Edit for extra info - car idles a tiny bit under 1k rpm - steady as a rock warm or cold.
Edit for even more extra info lol - Average Mpg - 33.2 - (with average speed of 24mph) fuel use seems fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
An update on this.

Car was terrible to start this morning.. turning over for ages, when it caught the revs were jumping around between 0-500 rpm like crazy for a good couple of minutes lots of miss/back-fires- never stalled but I don't know how.

Once it got warm it drove ok, little low on power, no backfires etc.. idles at 1k fine

drove 32 miles - no engine light :-/

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
One way to discount MAF is to unplug it and try the car. MAF usually holds it back at higher revs though.

You do appear to have coilpack/plug issues and lambda faults. Previous owner may have fitted 2nd hand lambdas or non-Bosch sensors, which could be part of the problem.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Seems you need a new maf, lambda 2 and coilpack unit. As it is telling you. ;) Once you have done this then see what it throws up. But obviously do a cold start first just in case they are old issues

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Don't be tempted to save money and buy non-Bosch parts ... you'll be changing them again soon ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, just a quick update as I'm at work.

I've driven over 100 miles now since clearing the faults and still no engine light :-/

It started fine on the way home last night and fine again this morning - no power or revving issues, tho it did misfire once pulling away and is revving fine low to high without the need to warm the car up as before.

I will hook it up to the laptop during my lunch break to try and see what is going on.

With regards to the issues on cyl 2 & 3 - could these not be caused by issues with the lambda, that particular one is related to cyl 2 & 3 isn't it? or are ignition failures a stand alone fault.

Also what does it mean by not present now on the fault with the lambda?

Many thanks again for advice.

oh and with regards to the lambda "above catal", I would be looking to buy one that is advertised as pre-cat cat is that right?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
How old are the sparkplugs? have you ever changed them and do you know what brand and type of plugs are fitted?

If the answer to all those questions is "I don't know" then take the engine cover off and check the condition of the coilpacks, leads and connectors. If all checks out then replace the sparkplugs.

To me it sounds like an ignition problem that is throwing up false sensor errors as an additional symptom. Saying that, the MAF error cannot be falsely generated so clean that as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts