Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First time post long time reader as I have had my Alfa for almost a year. It has been rather reliable as I drive about 1-2K kilometers a year so. :thumbup:

however I have been looking around the forums and I cannot seem to find a similar problem, let me explain.

My 2004 Alfa 147 T spark 1.6L sits a lot, I travel for work most of the time but when I am home I find starting the car after it sits for more than 6 hours is a tough task.
basically what has to happen is I turn the key to ACC and wait for the fuel light to disapear, if I start to crank it on the first try it just turns over and over.
if I turn the key to ACC wait for the light to disapear and turn it off then repeat 3-4 times then she will start and run like a champ no issues.
it doesn't always happen and only after it sits over night or after work. I get no errors on the dash, and the car has no other issues I can see. I was thinking maybe the fuel pump isn't sending fuel, maybe failing? or something else if you have some ideas. The problem is getting parts here in Cyprus is difficult so I would need to order from the UK or Italy directly.

Any ideas or things to try would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Nate

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Battery issue? enough juice to crank the engine around but voltage drops so the car electronic don't work properly, try to charge battery or try a fresh battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking battery. I will try a fully charged one and see how it goes. I hope it is something simple like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some new info, so the battery is fine let me explain the issue a little differently. Basically what I need to do is the following:
when I turn the ignition to ACC and wait for the fuel icon to disapear this takes about 2-3 seconds meanwhile I can hear the fuel
pump during this stage, If at this point I try to start my 147 it won't start, it turns over fine, so I wait 2-3 seconds and turn to ACC again.
wait for the fuel icon to disapear and turn off again. If the car has been sitting over night I need to do this 3 times and it will start.
if I go to the shop quickly or it has only been sitting for 2-3 hours then the problem doesn't happen. I am thinking the fuel pump is starting to fail
in turn I need to prime it 3-4 times to get fuel to start the car. I tried a new battery same problem. Does anyone have experience with this?
if it is the fuel pump how easy is it to swap on my own, I assume I need to drop the fuel tank etc. I hate the fact that when I go to work or come home
I have to wait 5 minutes to start the car. Any thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts