Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really confused by this one now. I know these engines like a drink of the brown stuff, but it has used about 2 litres in about 200 miles!
It puffs blue smoke abit on start up, then accelerating (not hard) from a standing start through the gears. Once warm, it smokes worse over 3,000rpm but doesn't smoke when cruising or at wide open throttle at low revs.

I've had the inlet manifold off today and re-sealed it, so its not the variator solenoid leaking into the inlet. Compression check on a warm engine results are as follows:

1 - 180 dry, 205 wet

2 - 190 dry, 210 wet

3 - 195 dry, 220 wet

4 - 185 dry, 210 wet

All plugs looked normal, not wet. If anything it looks like it's running a little rich but the exhaust is blowing so I'd expect that.

Appreciate they have all increased with abit of oil added, but the dry figures aren't excessively low and I wouldn't have thought low enough to get through so much oil if it were piston rings?

The head was off recently to replace a damaged valve. At the same time it had new valve stem oil seals and a gasket set. I'd be surprised if it were stem seals as they all went on ok and seemed to seal fine against the valve stems.

The only other thing I've noticed is a couple of exhaust manifold studs are wet from oil. It's obviously losing abit here but I doubt it would account for the whole problem?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What is the brand and grade of oil?

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is a huge amount. I can only think you might have a broken ring even if the plugs are fine. Did it start doing this after the valve breakage and subsequent fix, yet was fine before?

Another option is a shot bearing that can cause such an increase and this might have been damaged at the same time your valve got hit. How did it break? Is it running smooth now? Did you replace the cam belt or verify timing while head was off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it running on 3 due to the valve so I don't know what it was like before.

I don't think the valve was hit, as it was only one exhaust valve damaged. I think it was a build up of carbon that came loose and got caught in between the valve and seat.

It runs smooth, pulls fine and returns about 34mpg average so apart from the smoke and oil loss, you wouldn't know there was anything wrong!

Timing belt and pulleys were done when I refitted the head and was all timed up and tensioned correctly. I didn't change the variator though.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
It'll run at 170 but its not right. The fact that you get such a difference when you do the wet test shows that you have bore wear and the rings are not doing their job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been looking into prices of rings and big end shells. Surprisingly not too expensive, so I think I'll give it a go.

Anything to be wary of doing this job? I'm planning to do it with the engine still in the car, so I'll need to get some super long ribe bits to access the sump bolts near the gearbox.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, will be measuring as I take it apart before ordering any parts. I've seen the bores from when the head was off. No noticable lip or scoring.

If there's anything needing machining lower down though I think I'll be calling it a day rather than ploughing lots of money and effort into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After taking the head off, I could see the bores were pretty glazed and there were some scratches in the bores near the top on both the front and back sides which is what I'm putting the oil consumption down to. I can feel the scracthes with my nail, so to do the job properly it would need machining and oversized pistons.

Instead of spending the value of the car on the engine, I decided to take it out and replace with a new low mileage lump, so it's now up and running again.

Out of interest though, once I took the old engine out, I took the pistons out to have a look at the condition of the rings. Surprisingly, all were intact and in pretty good condition! I don't understand where the scratches in the bores have come from. :confused:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Something has been ingested into the engine most likely - it only takes a tiny bit of grit. Might even have been a bit of swarf.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Could just be general wear. Low oil - many things can cause an issue.
Glad you got it fixed though. New engine is about the easiest thing to do.

How is the oil consumption now?

The TS is a pretty thirsty little engine anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure on oil consumption yet as I only finished it yesterday and I'm using my land rover to drive around in at the moment. I'll probably use it next week to see how it is.

The shells looked in good nick so I doubt it would have been down to oil, it's had engine work in the past though so some debris isn't out of the question.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts