Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
You can find some info and pics here:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuni...talled-variable-intake-manifold-on-1-6ts.html

Basically it is a easy job, in real life it is incredibly difficult because of the access to one bolt... read the thread I linked above.

I don't remember everything, and the steps might not be in exact order...
1. remove the battery
2. remove engine cover
3. disconnect AFM and remove intake pipe from filter to throttle body
4. disconnect as many cables as you can, basically all the wiring loom on the top of the engine (2 connectors from ECU, injectors, rpm sensor, knock sensor, crank sensor...., I disconnected even the coils to be able to put the complete loom to the side)
5. remove the throttle body
6. remove the rail with injectors
7. remove coolant pipe from thermostat to the reservoir
8. remove the two bolts fixing intake manifold from the bottom. one is behind where TB was, the second one is virtually inaccessible. You need long and thin hands. please see the link I posted in the beginning) You might need to drain an remove power steering reservoir as well.
9. check if you disconnected everything, there is a connector to the solenoid for the petrol gas recirculation to the active carbon filter on the bottom if the intake, just under the TB, you have to do it by feel.
10. disconnect vacuum pipe to the brake servo (lot of force, just pull)
11. loosen the metal clips on rubber arms holding the intake.
12. slide the intake manifold off the rubber arms. it will need some fiddling to get it out and there are some cables attached to its bottom you need to make loose (again by feel only)

My opinion is that if the engine is out of the car, its 10 min job. With engine in place, half a day in a good case....

Good luck

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, mucho appreciated :)

looks like I'll be borrowing my friend's garage for this one

·
3,202 Posts
You are welcome.

BTW, if you are doing the same job with 2,0TS intake as I did, don't forget you need a new vacuum pipe to the brake servo. It is different shape, 1,6 intake has a lead for it at the bottom, 2,0 on the top. It costs about 20 - 30 EUR.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was only going to flow the current intake manifold, but you've got me interested now...
are you saying i can swap the current intake manifold out for one from a 2.0 ts 147? and if so, what are the benifits, and should i flow that as well before putting it in if i was going to go down that route?

·
3,202 Posts
1,8 and 2,0 TS manifold (the same one) has larger diameter of the intake after the throttle body and the intake chamber is larger volume. The ports are the same size; well the head is the same so they have to fit. If you are thinking about porting, you can basically port only the metal part of the manifold. This one is basically just a set of 10 cm long metal pipes. No bends or curves and pretty clean and flat. Not worth of porting. It would make sense I you planned to remove the head, port it as well and match the ports to the openings in the head.

Regarding the swap for 2,0 manifold, yes, it had some positive effect, but I never managed to make the switching work automatically. I spent about 300 EUR or various digital rpm switches, but none works with twin spark ignition, multiple firing of spark plug confuses them. I am able to control the manifold length with a manual switch in the cabin, but it is not usable in real life to switch it on and off as you accelerate... The switching effect is not very large as well, the ecu has to be tuned for this and I can’t do this till the switching works.... it’s a circle..

It is a nice project, but with relatively small effect. For the cost of intake, vacuum hose, electronics that doesn’t work, 2 days of time, dinner and some beers to my friend who helped me I could have bought a set of cams…. Much more effect. But I like to finish things I started so I will eventually make it work one day :)

BTW, if you have a free afternoon, try to polish the throttle body. It is easy to remove and it has some 0,5mm lip inside restricting the flow, you can get rid of it. It should flow smoother at low throttle openings... But all these things work like cone filters... 95 percent of the effect is psychological :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the info! I'll do that to the throttlebody for sure :)
I was looking at flowing the intake manifold, with the hope that combining that with the cams I'll be putting in at a later stage will be of some help power-wise...

and yup, 95% psychological :rolleyes:

but that means there's 5% that's not :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts