Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst driving to work just now, I suffered every possible error message on my dash. My rev needle stopped working. My speedo stopped. No interior lights. No electric windows. Everything stopped, but car ran.

Please help

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I'd start by looking at the connector box on the battery positive terminal - there are a few connections there that can come loose. Not a regular fault, so not an easy solution - at least as far as I'm concerned....sorry!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having just tried to start it, completely dead so I'm thinking dead battery perhaps. I started the car, drove half mile, turned it off, started it again then drove the 7 miles to work, not enough to recharge it really. I had a dog in the boot yesterday so perhaps the boot light was switched on by mistake and was draining it

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just jumped it, left it running for 40 mins (all I had for my dinner break at work) and tried turning on lights, front nearside immediately blew :-(

boot light was not on, so thats not the answer.

I noticed a lot of fluid near by battery overflow pipe, so perhaps the battery is knackered?

I took it for a little spin round the car park and periodically the dash lights would go completely off, then on again.

Surely if it was a battery issue, once the electrics are running off the engine as apposed to the battery itself, these issues would not be happening?

Please help, I have a drive home at 1am and if it cuts out again and leaves me without the ability to put hazards on I wont be too happy!

thanks in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked the voltage across battery when car is NOT running, no ignition etc, reads 12.4.

is this correct?

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you're blowing bulbs I would check the voltage when it IS running. You may have a faulty regulator in the alternator.

The only thing that will blow bulbs is too much voltage. Your ECU (or EPM, EPC, EZE or whatever you call it here) will be protected by a voltage regulator, so it wouldn't affect the car running unless it was rediculously high, but a good few volts might be too much for a dash reg and your headlights.

The blowing bulb may be a coincidence though....

Do your electric windows seem faster than usual (with the engine running)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ponchoj

Good assesment. Took the car to the garage this morning and getting 17v from the alternator, causing the battery to boil. getting alternator and battery changed, (there goes another £350 into the Alfa Abyss).

Ironically, my windows have been very slow, passenger side especially, for a few months now, to the point where it will move an inch, then stop, move and inch..... Maybe this will get sorted in the process!

The car has always blown a lot of bulbs.

Having had clutch / pump / belt replacement, complete wiper assembly, lower suspension arms all changed within a year, the car is almost new! but I'm thinking maybe time to move on.... :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts