Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 147 55 plate 1.6 and it needs some work

1st up suspension creaks and bangs. Just had it up on the ramps. Both top arms and off side lower. Anybody experience of these birth kits from italy. The full kits as cheap as the 3 parts seperately over here.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161626937391

I might aswell get the lot done for the price, aslong as the supplier is reliable. Anyone used them?

2nd. Is it 3 years the cam belt on these. The head was blown 19,000 ago and 3 years. What else needs changing with the cambelt to future proof the car?

3rd. Anyone know any decent back box suppliers at reasonable prices? Its on its original back box by the looks of it the way the rust is peeling off? I would quite like a cheapish stainless but dont wanna pay a fortune on the 1.6.

4th it needs a service so oil and air filter. Where is the cabin filter on them, is it passenger footwell like the 156? Anything else need changing? I'm pressuming the plugs will have been done with the engine build after the head blew?

Just removed the middle heat shield as it was held on by about 3mm of steel around 1 bolt, the other 2 bolts rusted/pulled it away. It wont cause any issues will it?

Think thats it for now, cheers fellas

·
Registered
780 Posts
1. A couple members on this forum have bought that exact kit and everything has appeared to go smoothly. Birth are a good choice and glad to see you're not going for yumcha no-name ebay parts.

2. Yes 3 years. Change the water pump, tensioners and balance belt whilst you're there. Also do the variator if your car sounds like a diesel on start up. I would also recommend replacing the rocker cover gasket as that will be removed when checking for TDC and you might as well put a new one in to help prevent oil leaking into the plug wells.

3. Have you tried a local exhaust shop for a quote? If you only need the back section done it shouldn't cost all that much and you might even be able to get away with just going with a straight pipe in the rear since the rear silencer doesn't do an awful lot.

4. Someone else will need to advise on the cabin filter location. Regarding the plugs just pull them and check for carbon build up? Only takes 20mins to pull and check them all.

Regarding the heat shield. It might fall off or make an annoying rattle but I don't think it will do any serious damage.

Good luck with the 1.6!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I bought that exact kit and it didn't arrive. Spent weeks messaging the guy who would only reply in Italian! Had to get a refund from eBay.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Pity the supplier of that kit is unreliable. I would've ordered tomorrow. If shop4parts did a kit like that it'd be a godsend.

My 147's steering is getting quite vague and the suspension is very squeaky in the morning.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I bought that exact kit and it didn't arrive. Spent weeks messaging the guy who would only reply in Italian! Had to get a refund from eBay.
Seems I jumped the gun a bit then!

Though I am pretty sure another member on this forum has used that kit without issue?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers lads great stuff, exhaust is the one bugging me. Might just have to get a standard back box. All the exhaust shops and aftermarket products i see are looking at £120 upwards for stainless. It would be easier to put a cheapy on and get the money for a cat back system in a few months

1 - 7 of 7 Posts