Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to complete an oil change and whilst cleaning around the sump plug hole, bits of metal fall out.:eek:

Then, horror of horrors, sump plug, although it screws in, keeps on spinning.:cry:

Time for a new sump or
Tap and helicoil

Damn, blast. All 5 previous oil changes (not all on this Alfa) went just fine.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Failing that, alfaworkshop (i think) do a tapered plug.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll go for the tap and helicoil first. Any ideas on cost? Previous suggestions on this forum are £50 - £90.

The tapered plug from Alfaworkshop probably wont get to me till Tuesday.

I'm still kicking myself!!!!

I knew there was something wrong when after the last oil change, the plug took a long time to close and seal! The 5 prior oil changes I did not do.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:

I'm giong to have to move the car about 8 miles (PTFE job me thinks) to the nearest place that has tools large enough.

Sump plug size is M16 with a 1.5 pitch.

Why do Alfa make them soooooo large?

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
the problem is the steel plug and aloy sump, these metals react chemically and ''weld'' together in time.. they shouild have made a steel threaded insert in the sump... but that costs money...
Use copperslip when you reinsert the plug...

C

·
0 Posts
Update:

I'm giong to have to move the car about 8 miles (PTFE job me thinks) to the nearest place that has tools large enough.

Sump plug size is M16 with a 1.5 pitch.

Why do Alfa make them soooooo large?

So that the oil comes out...

Its a common problem and not your fault BTW.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it fixed using tap and helicoil. Was actually an M18 plug. £50.60 and the guy changed the oil. Rugby Motor Engineering Services.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts