Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Engine removal/ transplant hasnt gone to badly bearing in mind I ignored E learns and everyone else reccomendation to drop the motor and decided to lift it instead.
Its back in situ but dammed if I can get the rear engine mount to chassis bolt to run down :cry: I assume theres a captive run or simmilar located in the chassis end behind the rubber?
The bolt feels like its found the thread but doesnt tighten :rant:

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Remove the bolt, and check the tread for damage!!! if damaged run a die or an old nut with the same thread onto the bolt to clean them up.. Tap the mount the bolt goes through also to clean them threads. Start the bolt by hand before puting any torque on it.... are you sure you have the correct bolt? easy to mix them up with the mounting bolts in the bracket on the engine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive tried a couple of different bolts including a longer one. It feels like the bolt is about to thread then fails to locate.
I'll go out and check the condition of the thread on the bolt but I cant see how a tap (even if I did have a M12 long enough) will locate the thread inside the mount. Is the rubber mount removable? Can I acees the nut/thread that the bolt goes into?

Thanks

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=133954&stc=1&d=1327857411

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The nut is tacked onto the top of its housing and can spin, ive had this several times.You have to take the housing off and tack (weld) the nut firm. But on one occaision i was able to swivel the engine and bolt the nut up with a spanner and then swing it back in place into its cubby hole.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply but I'm still trying to get my head round how the nut/thread is located and how I can get to hold it in place. I assume that the nut is attached to the top side of the sub frame?
If I drop the sub frame will I be able to see the nut and tack it into place?
I'm hoping that I might get away with just slackening then lowering the sub then to be able to hold the nut in place?
Anyone got a pic of the subframe from above?

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK think I've sussed this.... The mount is held on by two bolts which I assume are under the heat shield? Once shield and mount are removed will the nut be accessible?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Ive sent you a pm but it seems you have figured it out.The rear mount is not the only one that can be a problem over the years ive found all have caused problems when the nut spins inside the mount.Then the whole mount comes off its not that difficult just time consuming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts