Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help with this.
I have looked through the forum and some theads relate but now answer for what am looking for.

A month or so ago engine light came on saying motor engine failure and was running like a bag of brown stuff:)

I took it to a friends garage and it turned out to be oil leaked into the spark plugs, i had the rocket gasket replaced and full service done. however the light is still on and the car is running a lot better but still like a bag of crap.
It seems that when i get to 2750 revs i get the power back, i've read up a bit but get diffrent answers as the situations are diffrent.

The loss of power is like its missing a spark.

Any help would be great thanks

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Interesting figure you mention, right where the Variator would activate and you would feel an increase, but I think you have a cam a tooth out on the belt, place your hand on the inlet manifold whist the engine is ticking over, it should be evenly cold across all 4 curves, if any are warm you have bent inlet valves in that cylinder, a compression test will also show this up but as a quicky the hand will do (no pun intended).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha thanks, i will try it and see what happens. i think i know what you mean, the caseing around the cam belt?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive done a little digging

my car sounds like a diesal as well, read that that is probably the variator what ever that is(were do i get one?) ;0)

I'll try the MAF thing first, i dont know where it is tho, also does anyone know if it could be the lambda sensor????
I hoping that it is one of the above as the bent valves sound like a big job and times are hard............i know i own a alfa

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
the maf is inbetween the airbox and the engine, its part of the intake pipe and has an electrical connector that you can just unplug and take it for a spin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help. I've read a few threads which you have helped with inrgards to the MAF so I know you know your stuff, so I'll give it a go later thank you I'll update late

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
right I unplugged the maf, the car was still juggering but seemed to have a lot more power do you think that is the problem? Took it for a spin no diffrence turned it off again and the power was mostly back. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if its running better with the maf dissconnected i would say there is a strong chance you need a new one, its still possible that there might be something more to it but considering that the plugs were full of oil, have you replaced the spark plugs at all? or any coil packs? and how many miles has the car done? its possible that one of the coil packs may need replacing or maybe in need of new spark plugs (plugs should be replaced every 60k miles)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the car has done.....wait for it 144000.

i had it fully serviced with new spark plugs.

when i unplugged the MAF the connection were corroded greeny colour.....i'll wd40 it later see if any improvment.

if it's still doing it i thing that it may be the coil pack, but will let you know

Thanks for you help

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi peeps back again.

This is a nightmare, i have replaced the MAF and still the same problem, i got a non gen MAF and that seems to make it worse if am honest.

some times the MCF light goes off but when i put my foot down the judders and i get no power and the the BEEP BEEP BEEP comes back on with the MCF, if i bulid up slowly its ok but still a bit juddery but normally fine just slugish.

do you think it is the coil pack or bent valves?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
could well be one (or more) of the coil packs are faulty, try unpluging them all and measure resistance with a multimeter, they should all give the same reading, if one of them is completely different then you may have found the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts