Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have my first problem.

Now iv'e had chance to drive the car for a few days a problem has reared its ugly head. . . first thing i noticed is if left to tickover for a while it cuts out, it idles smoothly for maybe 5 or 10 mins then just stops with no drama at all, just like i turned the ignition off. . . then fires up on the key easily straight away :huh:

Also while driving along it can lose power for a few secs and may give a cough (like fuel cut on a turbo thats over boosting) then carries on like normal.

After reading up on here i think either crank sensor, tps or the bbob, i had a quick look in the dark at the solenoids and 2 seem a little sloppy, first port of call?

Cheers,
Daz.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? i cleaned and checked the solenoids near the battery but again today it cut out while ticking over:confused:
It runs perfectly well all the time but does this on tickover and occasionally while driving it feels like fuel cut for a split second.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it was the pump it would struggle to run though, the engine would run for a while without the pump running surely?
It only cuts out at idle or "burps" while driving and it allways fires straight back up and ticks over smooth as you like.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Just a thought but I had a similar problem with an old BMW of mine and it was the ignition leads. I'd be driving along fine then the car would lose power and cough then continue on like nothing had happened. Maybe not the problem but just thought I'd put it out there! Hope you solve the problem soon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi i had the same problem but i has to leave it for about 10mins before it restarted & that was the crank sensor so if yours is restarting straight away it cant be the crank sensor

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I would still put my money firmly on the BBOB (relays and fuses in front of the battery). I know you've cleaned them and not wishing to criticise the job you've done but it has been the case on a number of occasions that someone has cleaned the BBOB only to find the problem still there. After another 1 or 2 proper attempts at cleaning up the connectors in the BBOB the car has then run perfectly again.

This means cleaning the connectors on the fuses/relays and in the holders until they're sparkling (scotchbrite works well), then squeeze them further closed with some pliers so they get a really tight grip on the fuse/relay contacts, then liberally smear some vaseline on them to prevent further corrosion. If the wires going into the bottom of the connectors look at all dodgy then you also need to strip back the wires and splice in some new ones. If you're not confident at doing this then I would recommend you get a qualified auto-electrician to do it for you :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would still put my money firmly on the BBOB (relays and fuses in front of the battery). I know you've cleaned them and not wishing to criticise the job you've done but it has been the case on a number of occasions that someone has cleaned the BBOB only to find the problem still there. After another 1 or 2 proper attempts at cleaning up the connectors in the BBOB the car has then run perfectly again.

This means cleaning the connectors on the fuses/relays and in the holders until they're sparkling (scotchbrite works well), then squeeze them further closed with some pliers so they get a really tight grip on the fuse/relay contacts, then liberally smear some vaseline on them to prevent further corrosion. If the wires going into the bottom of the connectors look at all dodgy then you also need to strip back the wires and splice in some new ones. If you're not confident at doing this then I would recommend you get a qualified auto-electrician to do it for you :)
Thanks for the advice GialloEvo94, i'll have to give them a proper going over at the weekend, it has been better since i cleaned them and has only done it a couple of times since so i reckon you could be right.
I'll strip the wires and re-crimp as i go just to be sure, cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
What will the service book tell you about the re-lays?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts