Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.... well I’m trying to save a 98 146ti.... got it off an old lady who wanted rid.... had it since new!
Anyway got it home after freeing off locked brakes....
Soooo. Put jump leads on and added a few gallons of fuel and full bottle of redex....
Cranks but not starting... keycode light goes out... I’ve even pressed the fuel cut off switch under the passenger front seat!
Any other ideas? :grumpy:
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
39,289 Posts
Might be worth changing the fuel filter, it could be full of all sort of crap. Also check the fuel pump is running.

It would also be worth taking a plug or two out to make sure you are getting sparks when the engine is cranked, if not you could have failed crank sensor/wiring issues. Depensing on where the car was laid it up could amount to corrosion on connectors etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate
Doesn’t mine have the filter in the fuel tank? Supposed to rarely go wrong! If anyone else knows different or where it actually is oleEr tell me!
Il go through the connectors . Already had relays out to clean terminals will have to do them on the car too where they slot in I guess! Got to try and pull crank sensor too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok update .....
Cleaned relay connectors still no joy. Took fuel pipe off and fuel cones out even when not cranking so would suggest fuel getting through. Pulled all plugs and don’t seem wet or sooty.... but don’t smell of fuel. However a few bores had oil on them. To test the spark gather I just take a plug out and put it into the end of a ht lead and crank it? Will I see it sparking or do I need to put the plug against something? Thanks in advance as always- also is it the crank sensor that goes faulty it is it a camshaft position sensor? Is that the one under the battery tray?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Ok update .....
Cleaned relay connectors still no joy. Took fuel pipe off and fuel cones out even when not cranking so would suggest fuel getting through. Pulled all plugs and don’t seem wet or sooty.... but don’t smell of fuel. However a few bores had oil on them. To test the spark gather I just take a plug out and put it into the end of a ht lead and crank it? Will I see it sparking or do I need to put the plug against something? Thanks in advance as always- also is it the crank sensor that goes faulty it is it a camshaft position sensor? Is that the one under the battery tray?
i usually spray a little wd40 etc into the intake while cranking.. just a small burst .. if it fires you have spark. usually then a fuel issue or timing ..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok il give that a try! However today after cranking for a while pulled a plug and was wet so probably guessing no spark... must be crank sensor... anyone got a spare ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts