Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an absolute nightmare trying to find the 3 pin data link connector (diagnostic socket or obd socket) on my 2000 146 ti :rant:

The closest link i could find to answering my question on here was the following link but it was wrong in my case.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-145-and-146/88656-diagnostic-socket.html

I did find the connector on my car, evetually!

It is located behind the panel between the passenger side airbag and the heater controls on the centre console, pops off easy with a screwdriver :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The socket you've found behind that panel is the AIRBAG diagnostic socket (this one). The engine ECU diagnostic socket is located on top of the left side suspension turret as you look into the engine bay from the front (this one). And for future reference, the ABS diagnostic socket is the one on the right side suspension turret as you look into the engine bay from the front (this one)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this information, im sure you can help me a little more too.

It is the airbag fault code im after anyway but im having problems. Im using delphi software on a pda and I have a bluetooth transponder that plugs in using the eobd 16pin plug. I have a fiat lead that connects up but there is a jack adapter that comes out of this harness. I dont get any power to the bluetooth unit...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I assume you're using a 3-pin to 16-pin OBD converter lead with the training crocodile clip? The 3-pin connector on the car doesn't have a +12 power connection like a 16-pin connector does so you need to connect the crocodile clip to a +12v supply (i.e. the positive terminal of the battery). This will then provide the necessary power to pin 16 on the 16-pin side of the converter lead. This is the pin where your bluetooth adapter will be looking to take it's 12v power from.

See this picture for the type of converter lead I'm talking about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tI was something like that only no croc clip, i wouldve known how to wire that up. It only had a jack adaptor coming from it. Little did i know my boss had purchased the lead without the supply voltage lead. I managed to find a mate who had the right supply lead. It was just a jack to cigarette lighter fitment. Worked perfect. Thanks again for the help regarding the various diagnositc ports. Im used to accessing all systems via the one plug on most cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts