Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just about to fit a new thermostat to my 146. Taken the old one off, just compaired it with the new one, and surprise surprise the old one has an additional pipe connected on the side of the body! The new part does have a flat where the hole could be fitted. Has any one else cone across this? Is the only solution to drill and tap a new hole?
If so, I'm off to halfords to attempt to get the right size tap!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The ally top and plastic top engines have different thermostats, not only are the pipe layouts different but one opens at 80 degrees and the later one at 90.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So will it make any difference if the new thermostat opens at a higher temp? Thinking of stripping out the body and swapping the thermostat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'd ask Smaky about that. The plastic tops are very temperature sensitive but I don't know if the ally top ECU is so easily upset. My first thoughts are that it might make adjustments as it thinks the engines running too hot and your fan might be working like the clappers as the 2 temperature senders are separate on ally tops.

The ally top thermostat for my GFs car was only £17 from my local motor factors, at that price is it worth the risk and hassle?

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
I am pretty sure they don't open at different temperatures. :p

Its the ones I have seen both open at 78ºC

I think it is becasue the temp sensor for the gauge is fitted into the cylinder head and reads about 10ºC lower than the actual coolant temperature. The gauge was re-calibrated to compensate for this.

Smaky or GE where are you? To tell me if I am correct or am talking rubbish. :D

Simon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Smaky, will order up the other style of t'stat and swap the bottom connector

1 - 9 of 9 Posts