Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there I have a bit of a stupid question. I have been helping a mate out with his 146 as it has failed its MOT on pads and the back box no longer being attached to the exhaust pipe by anything more than fresh air. After a lot of swearing the new exhaust system was in as are the front pads but the rears are being a pain. I cant seem to be able to compress the rear pistons. I have disconnected the handbrake cable but I cant figure which way to turn them or if i need a special tool as the two screwdriver technique that has done me well for years wont work because of the milling on the top of the piston nor can I find a direction arrow. Any help will be gratefully received as he is bussing it to work at the moment and not very happy.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the pistons wind back in. You have push and turn together eg with long nosed pliers, cannot remember which way or invest in the wind back tool that Laser sell, about £20 from Halfords with gets the job done in 30 secs.

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try with some pliers but it was very stiff and they kept jumping out of the groves. I know the tools exist but the owner is really broke at the moment and I am trying to keep the cost down. If he has too he will have to buy one but I was wondering if there was a Heath Robinson way of doing it

·
Registered
38,439 Posts
Pongo, I have been there myself trying to push back 146 brake pistons with clamps, screwdrivers etc and with similar small success.... As purple says get down to Halfords and invest in the correct tool.
Not only does it make the job 100 times easier it also helps make sure the pistons are free when it all goes back together.
If you use the screwdriver method you also run the risk of damaging seals which usually cost a lot more that the tool costs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you both talk a lot of sense. I shall tell him to buy the tool. I don't want to knacker it up even worse than it is. He dosn't know it yet but he is going to have to get a lot of welding done to the rear floor pan so he is going to have to get some wonga from somewhere cos I cant do that:thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Never had the 'official' type tool, so I made one up for my Lancia's screw back pistons, which also works on the 147's. May try to post a picture one day!:(: Get the right tool, it's worth the expense to save damaging anything imb.:):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its all sorted but what a nightmare. The first tool that I got the pins were two far apart but the second which is a Draper Cube Tool that fits on to the end of a 3/8ths ratchet or breaker bar . It kills your hand as it cant push and twist at the same time so elbow grease is required but at under a tenner and it will fit most cars I can highly recommend it. Next on the list is how to fit a new hand brake Cable but that's next week. Many thanks to all who have made suggestions as it really did help. Many thanks from a Newbe:thumbs:

·
Registered
38,439 Posts
On the one I have the front part with the pins is reversable, so that one side they are far apart, the other side they are close together.

I am glad you have it sorted now though mate. :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I can follow your line of thinking, as the one I made needed to have the blade ground away on both sides at an angle, to get it to sit right in the slots of the piston. Looks Heath Robinson, but works. Need to get a picture up, as that's the best idea rather than all this chat I engage in.

I'll have another bash, now I have a cheapo' digi camera that the grandkids gave me:):First I'll show the tool as a new avatar, I can do that, and then you can all show me yet again, how to blow it up, right?:D

·
Registered
7,120 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. That looks just like the first one I got but as i said the pins were too far apart but it was a Draper one not laser. I was in a rush and went to my local car parts place (going spare in littlehampton) as they are always freindly and would rather give them my custom and cash insted of Halfords. I did see if I could change the end but it was held on by a big pin that was welded in and the back of it was flush metel. I will get one of those Laser ones for my own tool box though as I think my days of working on this car have only just begun and the owner has kept the Cube on as he bought it.

·
Registered
38,439 Posts
the one I was thinking of is this

LASER BRAKE CALIPER RE-WIND TOOL on eBay, also, Hand Tools, Garage Equipment Tools, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 13-Apr-08 21:07:34 BST)

found out its £15 from GermanSwedishFrench. You do not need any elbow grease, put the plate on the spindle and below the caliper body and it pushes against the inside of the caliper body as you turn the lever, thus winding back the piston.

Works on lots of cars with ATE brakes eg Saab, VW Alfa etc

HTH

Thats the one I have. It works a treat, it has certainly eared its keep the last few years with me and my dad using it. :)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Those seem to have round pins, similar to some screw back watch removal tools? The pistons have slots, so I would really like to see the official tool for Fat, Lancia, Alfa, to see if theirs is of a blade design? Still if the round pinned ones work, faire' nuff.:):

·
Registered
457 Posts
you have just saved me alot of time and money! followed you're idea of cutting a socket down to fit piston and it worked a treat cheers for that

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
the pistons wind back in. You have push and turn together eg with long nosed pliers, cannot remember which way or invest in the wind back tool that Laser sell, about £20 from Halfords with gets the job done in 30 secs.
Did it this weekend. Second piston done in 30 seconds, I won't mention the first.

Problem with socket - didn't have a grinder, nor spare sockets to cut, pliers slip and hurt hands - I strapped a tennis ball between the piers handles worked a charm to push against and keep the piers open correctly.

Push is the essence - turn clockwise, but make sure you get enough force on.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Did it this weekend. Second piston done in 30 seconds, I won't mention the first.

Problem with socket - didn't have a grinder, nor spare sockets to cut, pliers slip and hurt hands - I strapped a tennis ball between the piers handles worked a charm to push against and keep the piers open correctly.

Push is the essence - turn clockwise, but make sure you get enough force on.
PMSL! :cheese:

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Those seem to have round pins, similar to some screw back watch removal tools? The pistons have slots, so I would really like to see the official tool for Fat, Lancia, Alfa, to see if theirs is of a blade design? Still if the round pinned ones work, faire' nuff.:):
The official Alfa one is the laser tool. But we modified them by grinding off the 2 narrow pegs so you can fit them into 156 callipers with the piston fully extended.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts